fl studio typing keyboard will this help me

jon candy

HI I just discovered the typing keyboard so if I set the scale to minor melodic play a bass then a synth no matter what is it in key?
thanks as you can tell I struggle with theory

Where is this typing keyboard? I'm kind of confused by the post, but ya write using a key signature (aka a certain scale).

Where is this typing keyboard? I'm kind of confused by the post, but ya write using a key signature (aka a certain scale).

typing keyboard is a feature that enables ur keyboard to be played as a midi piano... it is next to the pattern box which is next to the tempo box.

bur for make a melody i need to? example C major i need touch C D E F G A B C then ? or i can alternate the notes?

bur for make a melody i need to? example C major i need touch C D E F G A B C then ? or i can alternate the notes?

No, you are not allowed to alternate otherwise you will break the scale and it will sound awfull.... thats why blues music sucks so much because they skip out and in of different scales.

make sure you know which scale the tune is in and keep to it.

Do not listen to Visceral.
You can alternate the notes of a scale to make any melody you want. Many songs use notes outside the main key. Visceral's inability to cope with changing keys in a blues song (LOL) should not be your concern.
Suggestion: try alternating between the C major and C dorian minor (C D Eb F G A Bb) and get used to that sound.

Are we bound the by the notes we know now? sure chords create different sounds...but can we invent new base (single) notes besides C D E F G A B in all of the octaves, including all the flats and sharps...or is that it? It's a weird question lol I know but I'm just curious...because new sounds would be fun, and I know chords can do that but ya...idk where I'm going with this haha nvm, I'm just rambling. :)

Last edited:
Don't know all the scales but not too sure if that'd matter much since every scale shares 25-75% of the same notes 50% of the time
[If they're the same type of scale] so something like cmajor could have some dmajor notes not sound bad together if certain notes from dmajor are pressed before actually just stopping with a cmajor scale usage thing.

like if you hit any note in cmajor that is not in a scale with all 5 black notes, you get weird collision with notes automatically.
dmajor example got 5 cmajor notes in it so it increase the amount of not collision notes.
then cmajor and dmajor, could implement a scale with all black notes but a couple are white so those would be to transfer over to the other scale because.

Do not listen to Visceral.
You can alternate the notes of a scale to make any melody you want. Many songs use notes outside the main key. Visceral's inability to cope with changing keys in a blues song (LOL) should not be your concern.
Suggestion: try alternating between the C major and C dorian minor (C D Eb F G A Bb) and get used to that sound.

You misunderstand me, if you all your instruments were in a C minor scale (C D Eb F G A Bb) and then you start playing a VIOLIN over the top in A Major then it will sound awful.... THAT IS WHY MAJORITY OF ELECTRONIC MUSIC PRODUCERS STICK TO THE SAME KEY

Last edited:
You misunderstand me, if you all your instruments were in a C minor scale (C D Eb F G A Bb) and then you start playing a VIOLIN over the top in A Major then it will sound awful.... THAT IS WHY MAJORITY OF ELECTRONIC MUSIC PRODUCERS STICK TO THE SAME KEY
Where do I start....
1. Of course you would not play a C DORIAN minor against the key of A major, Captain Obvious. C DORIAN minor (C D Eb F G A Bb) is the second mode of Bb Major---not the relative minor of A major. In fact, the "scale" of A major has no flats in it. If you knew what you were talking about, you.....wouldn't have pulled that example out of your ass. Bb major and A major don't even have the same key signature, so WTF, man? Any more stunning revelations, chief? You're gonna tell me that birds can fly, next?

2. Just because most/many electronic producers "stick to the same key" (usually for a lack of knowledge of the fact that you don't have to, lol) doesn't mean the OP should accept that. Any note of the chromatic scale can work over any key center if handled correctly. I'd rather people find the notes in their head (playing by ear), scale be damned, and be happy with the results than to tell them they need to "stick to a scale" because..."everyone else does".

3. Your initial comment saying that blues sucks because "they keep changing scales" says more about your level of knowledge of the genre and overall lack of understanding of music.
I hate the blues, but my reasoning has nothing to do with a lack of ability to handle simple key changes (which is DEAD EASY in blues. Blues is the easiest genre to solo over and when key changes do happen, they're so obvious that you don't even have to know theory to sound good over it). It's like saying, "I hate football because you have to run and stuff."

Last edited:
Not sure about this.
Most keys are in different scales by default, although I'm aware some instruments are not 88 pitches which would prolly skew.

Cooooooontext fella.

Where do I start....
1. Of course you would not play a C DORIAN minor against the key of A major, Captain Obvious.

No, you are not allowed to alternate otherwise you will break the scale and it will sound awfull

What am I missing here?

First I say that you would not alternate the key otherwise it will sound awful... then you reply saying that that comment is wrong... then you switch over to my side of the argument and reply in agreement with me 'above' saying that you would not break the scale of c minor into to a major.

Soooo, perhaps you did misunderstand me in the begining and made a an argument out of nothing... sorry if u got mad bro but im just stating facts...

edm producers really don't go beyond one key that the song is in because it will sound shit... if you can argue against that... i'd like to hear you smash your own keyboard and tell me that that is "music" lol

let me guess, your an avid fan of blues music? get a life!
It's not so much that I like blues (amongst a lot of other types of music) it's more that you can't see any value in an entire genre that is just as big as, if not bigger than, EDM, at least in it's own time.

Only playing in one key is something pretty much only EDM producers do. No other genre has such basic and boring harmony. Even the cheesiest of cheesy pop has the odd key change or borrowed chord: jazz, rock, disco whatever will almost never stick entirely to one key.

Back