For the first time trying to make a bassline by ear, need some help..

BeatsByD

Im always tryin to learn new things and im getting a little better at sampling and found this song from Europe

Wanted to sample the first 5-6 seconds and use it as a loop and make a bass over it with either a 808 or a sine bass. But what scale and key would it be in. I cant figure it out.

I already have a clap and kicks that fits the loop.
And i took the low end off the sample so i couldnt hear the original bass in the song

Im using Fl Studio btw

If someone could help i would appreciate it.

Edit: Im still not very good at musical theory and im still tryin to learn that.

When i get the first note on b i think it sounds good but i dont know

Last edited:
Well figuring it out by ear is the best practice, but you can also use something like Melodyne to figure it out for you too.

Im not able to hear it atm, but usually the key of a song is the note that fits perfectly on the start of the first bar. im used to press each note on the keyboard until i find the right note, that usually fits the first bar but still fits throught the rest of the song too. Thats the key. Sometimes songs are out of perfect key.. like a few semi-tones lower, so just try to work it out with the pitch of the synth/plugin patch ure using. Peace

Last edited:
The song is in the key of E minor. The bass line would be, if played one note per quarter note, E E E F# B B B B for the first two bars, and then if you are continuing it goes to C before walking back up to E (walking up meaning going C - D - E).

Last edited:
Back