Finding the Root Note....???

Chew_Bear

For all intensive purposes, practices and generalities...

1. Is or Can the note/key that appears the "MOST" in a melody/chord progression...be "THE" root note...???

i.e. Cmaj _ Cmaj _ Emaj _ Gmaj _ Emaj _ Cmaj. So...Cmaj is the root note right or is it more complicated than that...??

2. Which instrument or 'instruments' in a song can I use to find the root note...???

i.e Piano, Guitar, Lead Synth, Bassline

3. How do I find the root note of a sample...??? (say vocal, FX or pad etc.)

4. Is it possible to give 'any' sound a root note/key...? (say a noise...dog bark, gun shot etc.)

Thanks.

Its "for all intents and purposes"

1. Not always. It depends. Its more complicated than that but not really once you learn a few basic things.
One technique is to look at whatever chord the song ends on to help figure out the key of a tune.

2. Any instrument capable of being played melodically. Even a drum kit.

3. Usually, but not always, it will be the lowest note you hear-The bass note. For example, when transcribing tunes, one of the things we are told to listen for is the bass. Sometimes, but not always, the bass player will be playing the root.
Also, listen to whatever note the melody seems to be wanting to "move" to.

4. Possible. Sure.

it gets tricky: indeed with the progression you gave it could be C E or G major as the key depends on how the tune works and resolves; lots of posts and answers to this one written by me and others

as for the rest
2) anything

3) try to hear the "bottom" note: it may not be present if the chord is in an inversion but it is still the note you want to use

4) it is normal to give the root pitch of such samples as C3 (middle C, so it could be C5 in Fl or BiaB)

Back