finding the right note

Sorry man, you may need to elaborate a little bit. Maby give an example of what your trying to do.

To find the right note, you must know what scale you are playing in. To find the right timing, well, thats just wherever it feels/sounds right.

I remember when I used to ask this question.. There's only one answer.

You just know.

I kno, that answer sucks, but its true. If everyone could be dancers, if everyone could be singers, if everyone could be rappers, if everyone could be musicians, if jus anybody that could afford a sequencer could be a killah producer, there'd be nothing special about it.

Not everybody is musical, but jus like most skills, you're bound to have at least a little bit of it in you.. you'd just have to train it. Now, thats no guarantee, but it may be there. Hopefully you have enough time on ur hands to do this.

Get familiar with music. Not jus listening, but if u listen, listen closer. Notice the bassline and the melody. If you can, get an instrument and learn to play. If you plan on being a producer, you probably have a keyboard. Play it, learn some songs, and then you'll pretty much be able to feel which notes complement others.

If you are talking about finding the right note for a sample, just try to find the bass note that fits with the sample. Then slowly build a 3 chord note around it. If it still sounds like it needs more then look to add another note. You should read up on scales and chords....they will help you learn how to build chords and figure out sounds.

Look into buying a book called "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory". Learning theory will save you a lot of time. You don't have to memorize the book, just read it over and use it as a reference guide, if anything else.

Back