Finding the Key of a Song

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
This website tells you the key signature of any song (you have to upload the .mp3). I've tried it with a few songs, and it works pretty well. There may be a note or two off, but you can use your ear to find the one you want.

This is great for DJs mixing in key, or for remixing/adding to a song.

It's called audiokeychain. Here:
Song Key Finder | Your Source for Creating the Perfect Mashup | AudioKeychain

I'm sure there are other online services like this. If you know any, please post them below!

What are you thoughts on this? I use it every once in a while. It's pretty cool.

Last edited:
The key of the song is usually the first root note (bass) of the song. I'd try and steer clear of these. Occasionally it can give you the wrong key.

I don't like that I have to upload my music and it gets added to a database.

I use virtual DJ free edition for this.. not sure if it's really accurate, but I don't really find much need for music theory in my work to be honest. I know a lot of folks stress how important it is, but meh..
Besides, I don't do that whole thing where if technology exists I feel like it's not right to use it because artistic integrity and ethics and blah blah blah. I simply don't get that whole mentality..
I'm certified founding board member of BAN-IT (Brothers Against Nostalgia In Techno)

It's the future, baby! Lovin that shit.

yeah, I have version 8 and it looks pretty solid.. I just use it as an audioplayer but I think you could use it to perform just fine too.

Back