Finale or Sibelius?

Long

Which is the best music notation program? Finale 2008 or Sibelius 5.1. Ive heard different opinions on both sides but i think they were a little baised. Does anyone in here have experience with both and can tell me which one is really better?

I'm sorry because I can't really give you the unbiased opinion you are looking for, but I do have extensive experience with Finale. I have tried Sibelius for a short time also, but I was turned off almost immediately just because I was so used to the Finale system. It was sort of like going from PC to Mac.

The best way to really consider these is to try them for yourself. I've seen Sibelius 5, and I am considering giving that a shot. Sibelius seems to be much more "for" the musican than Finale, but, in my opinion Finale is a bit easier to operate and is more intuitive. Then again, I'm biased.

I say you should download Finale NotePad and the Sibeilus Demo; that way you can get a look at what these programs are about.

I hope that helps. :cheers:

I totally understand your point hy_skyz, i used to use the basic version of finale, but then moved to Sibelius (me and my classmates in school found a 5 license box unopened in a store cupboard of the music department), and slowly got used to it. It is a brilliant piece of software, it takes some time, especially if youre moving to it from finale, but once youve got the hang of it, it is much more productive for me.

As hy said, get some demos and give them a go. Finale is more user friendly from the first use, but i think that if you want to do some serious composing, get used to sibelius. Then again, i havn't used finale full.

First post of many i hope :)

I used Finale for assignments in my theory classes, it was very easy to use. Sibelius is a little bit different, but if you're at least somewhat familiar with Finale it should be a fairly smooth transfer to the other interface.

It all comes down to personal preference, I personally use Finale because it came bundled with my theory book.

Back