film scoring practice

shnurgle

I'm desperately trying to learn how one might extract the music track from a DVD (leaving only the video, sound fx, and dialogue) for the purposes of scoring practice. The idea is to be able to rip a favorite scene (including its video, dialogue, and sound fx) to a Quicktime movie (or other format) on the MAC. Then sequence my own music on top of it. All of the major literature on film scoring (Jeff Rona's book, Richard Davis' book etc.) suggests this as an invaluable form of practice, yet no one seems to know how to do it. The idea of scoring your own music to famous scenes from Lawrence of Arabia, Star Wars etc., is certainly worth entertaining, but is it really possible to seperate the music only from a DVD and then rip the remaining audio and video to Quicktime to load into a sequencer? Obviously the intention here is not to illegally pirate copyrighted material for profit, it is to practice scoring for individual benefit. Any info would be most helpful. Thanks!

(ahhh Richard Davis lol)

You'd need a good video card & software that will allow you to capture the video, since most people on this board are PC users, I don't know what is commonly used for this process, but for Macs, one industry standard is the Aurora video card (in lamens terms, it translates to "expensive")

I haven't heard of any other programs that will allow you to capture video from your computer. There may, in fact, be security issues that won't allow you to do it - for example, I can't take screen shots from DVD's on my Mac, it just takes a black screen - but I'm just speculating. If anyone does know of a program that will allow it I'd certainly be interested in knowing as well.

Also, schools like Berklee that have movie clips for students to practice with usually get these from the companies that own rights to the movie in the first place so they can avoid legal conflicts. (at Berklee, we did things lik X-Files, the Mummy, 20,000 Under the Sea, Hercules, The Three Musketeers and Lethal Weapon 3 because our Advanced Editing instructor worked on most of these films) We also weren't allowed to use the music WITH the video for our demo purposes outside of school. For example, I could use the music by itself on my website or demo reel, but not the video with my music.

I've always dreamed of doing something like this as well, but I really don't think it'll be possible. Especially with pirating laws being as strictly enforced as they are now. Sounds like the same question going around the hip hop and newbe forums. "how do i remove vocals from albums?" I say don't even bother. Find some film students to score for and you'll be helping them while getting your practice and building a resume all at the same time. Just throwing this out there but have you tried to score an extended trailer? May be easier to get around and it's better than nothing.
-Ajari-

Oh I do know that movie Dinosaurs has an option to watch the movie with no music. Just sound effects and diolague. I would give that a try. As a matter of fact I'm gonna do that if I can.

Last edited:
Ajari said:
Oh I do know that movie Dinosaurs has an option to watch the movie with no music. Just sound effects and diolague. I would give that a try. As a matter of fact I'm gonna do that if I can.

Yup ^^ I wish more DVD's were like that. The Cell has that option. But you'd need a good stop watch, paper and a lot of patience to do it the old fashioned way :P hehe I'm so spoiled.

Back