Figuring out what other sounds to add to a beat

D

D-Funkdafied

I sometimes have the trouble of not knowing what else is needed for the beat with the type of instruments.
Sometimes I make a beat and it sounds like it needs a lot of more going on or something extra but I can't figure out what...
What can I do for this?

Last edited:
this is the basis of arranging

Melody
Counter-melody
Harmonic movement (including pads)
Rhythmic impetus including bass

so your question probably needs a little more focus in terms of which of these areas you feel is lacking

this is the basis of arranging

Melody
Counter-melody
Harmonic movement (including pads)
Rhythmic impetus including bass

so your question probably needs a little more focus in terms of which of these areas you feel is lacking

I agree with bandcoach,where is it that you start to get stuck after you do a melody or after you lay down some chords ?

My process is like this most of the time either i 1.Start with my melody and build chords off of that or 2. Lay my chords do my melody then just go with whatever feels right as i demo sounds.
So i could boom Lay my chords,do the melody,maybe throw in the counter,pads,layer pads and chords,add a bass part if needed,then i do my lead or however i'm gonna do the chorus,boom maybe layer those sounds,then i figure what i'm gonna take out and play for the verse,maybe come up with something for the middle of the verse,and the turn around before the chorus.
After that i usually start working on my drum track,i'll do my snares,hi hats,drums,and precusive stuff. After that's laid down i usually will build my fills,drum rolls,transitions,rises and falls,tags,and drops and general spicing up so the beat isn't so redundant.
Then i usually will let it sit for a day and come back and see if i need to change some things and if it sound good after that i run with it.

I hope i gave you some insight and maybe it can help you down the road,you just gotta keep going at it until you develop you own work flow that works for you. Check my channel on youtube maybe a couple of the vids can help you out peace. Omega Flame Beat TV - YouTube

OK, cool. Not all the time but when I do feel a lack in knowing what to add, it is usually after my Drums, Bass, Chords and/or Main Melody...

Back