Few questions about making my own drum kit

BeatsByD

First, im sorry if this is the wrong place. Didnt know where to post it. I have some questions.

I want to make my own drum kit, not for sale just for own use and maybe share with someone one day.

1:

Let say i take a kick drum from a Johnny Juliano kit, one from Vybe Beatz kit and one from a random drum kit and layer it and tweak it a little to my own liking with eq, reverb etc.. Does it make it my own then?

I guess thats how most people make their drums/drum kits ? (obviously some sample from breaks and some record their own from a live drum kit)

I just kinda feel like its stealing but on the other hand its like im creating a whole new sound. I just wanted to know what you think about it, should i feel bad for doing that or is it normal?

2:

Its kinda a FL Studio question.

When i sample a kick drum or another thing from a break i save it as a wav file. But everytime i want to use the kick and put it in FL Studio, there is a orange light that shows that "use loop points" is activated. How do i do so it doesnt happend ? Because when i lay my kick pattern down in the sequencer it is looping.

Almost same question as 2.

When i sample a kick drum or another thing from a break i save it as a wav file. But everytime i want to use the kick and put it in FL Studio the kick/wav file is time strecthed. How can i save the file so it isnt time strecthed.

I think the question 2 and 3 is about how i save the wav file to begin with ?

When i save it, i drag the kick drum to the playlist and say save song as, and save it as a wav file if that helps.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. As far as copyright is concerned, they layered sounds wouldn't technically be 100% yours.

2. You can click that box to keep the sample from looping. Also, you can open the sample up in Edison and delete the loop markers and save a copy of the sample so you don't have to do that every time you use the sample in a new project.

3. To fix that, go to the time stretching section of the sampler window. Right click on "Time" and select none. Not sure how to prevent that from happening in the first place.

Typically when I want to record something from the playlist or step sequencer I open up Edison on the master mixer track and click the "on play" option and then I turn on the record button. In my opinion it's a bit quicker if I'm trying to record a bunch of individual samples.

1. As far as copyright is concerned, they layered sounds wouldn't technically be 100% yours.

2. You can click that box to keep the sample from looping. Also, you can open the sample up in Edison and delete the loop markers and save a copy of the sample so you don't have to do that every time you use the sample in a new project.

3. To fix that, go to the time stretching section of the sampler window. Right click on "Time" and select none. Not sure how to prevent that from happening in the first place.

Typically when I want to record something from the playlist or step sequencer I open up Edison on the master mixer track and click the "on play" option and then I turn on the record button. In my opinion it's a bit quicker if I'm trying to record a bunch of individual samples.

Thanks for the answer. I have not problem with number 2 and 3 anymore, i just loaded the sample in edison like you say and deleted the loop markers and set the time stretch to 0.

Back