Favorite Key Signature

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
I've studied music my entire life (from the age of 7 on), but I just realized that composing a song in a unique key signature gives the song a certain emotion. What is your favorite key signature? I've tested this and wrote a song in F sharp major. It's supposed to create the "triumph" emotion, and it does! It's really amazing. I can share the song but only if somebody asks.

Anyway, what is your favorite key signature to write in? Or do you write in a lot of them?

Last edited:
I write most of my songs in D# minor

The reason for this is because minor is considered to evoke more of a 'sad' emotion. Not to say my songs are written to be "sad" but because most big room house sounds just naturally sound better in minor keys. I've written some songs in major, then transitioned them to minor and its incredible how much better it makes the song sound.

As for why I use D rather than another note is because it's the one I've become most comfortable with. I naturally know this scale and just go to it I suppose

Awesome! Are minor keys always usually sad? And is it possible to create a new key signature? Like what keys are jazz songs written in? Its been a while since I've played trumpet in the school jazz band. :P

I don't think that minor neccessarily sounds sad. There are a lot of very happy songs in minor keys. Most obviously "Happy" by Pharrell.

Most of my songs/tracks are in E minor. I think this comes from my bass player days. As I wanted to go as deep as possible and E is the lowest note on my 4 string, I ended up doing everything in E minor. Minor because I just prefer minor.

Awesome! Are minor keys always usually sad? And is it possible to create a new key signature? Like what keys are jazz songs written in? Its been a while since I've played trumpet in the school jazz band. :P

Most jazz tunes are written in flat keys...mainly to accommodate horn players.
I never understood the whole "major=happy, minor=sad" approach to keys. I mean, I get why someone would come to that conclusion, but once you start analyzing songs, you realize just how ridiculous that is.

Most jazz tunes are written in flat keys...mainly to accommodate horn players.
I never understood the whole "major=happy, minor=sad" approach to keys. I mean, I get why someone would come to that conclusion, but once you start analyzing songs, you realize just how ridiculous that is.

Ya, it's a distinctly American genre created in culture class of people from around the world. But are the tunes written mostly with flat notes? Some Jazz scales have naturals and sharps. How are emotionally classified key signatures ridiculous? I've tested it and it appears to create particular emotions, but maybe it's how I'm writing the music.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, all major keys have the same emotion and all minor keys have the same emotion

Transposing a song from F major to F# major doesn't make it any emotionally different.

I like minor keys mostly because I find it difficult to stop major keys sounding cheesy- that said I am writing a piece in a major key at the moment

Oh hell ya :) I had a few too many ballast point victory at sea's....and I'm still bummed they sold for a billion big ones to constellation brands. SoCal represent! ...I'll write a major key song to that.

Back