fatback approach or the chordal approach (BandCoach)

TDOT

What up FP?

So yesterday I finally got to try both the fatback and chordal approach.
Pretty easy formula to follow and makes a lot of sense, however I noticed that the sounds where almost clashing.
Is that something that a nice mix can clean up or for those approaches, it it possible to leave some sounds out, I notcied particularly that the Saxophone clashed the most and made it sound a bit off.

What do you guys think!? Bandcoach any ideas?

And oh yea the way I did it was I created a piano melody and then used both approaches to try and give it an orchestral feel to it.

go here

hey guys just quick question, techniques to fatten my orchestral stuff

What up FP?

So yesterday I finally got to try both the fatback and chordal approach.
Pretty easy formula to follow and makes a lot of sense, however I noticed that the sounds where almost clashing.
Is that something that a nice mix can clean up or for those approaches, it it possible to leave some sounds out, I notcied particularly that the Saxophone clashed the most and made it sound a bit off.

What do you guys think!? Bandcoach any ideas?

And oh yea the way I did it was I created a piano melody and then used both approaches to try and give it an orchestral feel to it.

the clashing can be the notes being played or it could be an eq thing

Remember to use scale tones in building the chord rather than blindly copying note to note and ending up with accidentals all over the place

Last edited:
Can you better explain what u mean by scale notes? or are u just saying to make sure the notes used are within the scale of the melody?

Say your melody note is C and you are in the key of C, you can build a chord below it containing the following notes:
C-B-G-E => Cmaj7 =>
voicing1.png

or

C-A-F-E => Fmaj7 =>
voicing2.png

or

C-A-G-E => Am7 =>
voicing3.png

or

C-B-G-F => Cmaj7sus4 =>
voicing4.png

Now continue the melody like so and use one of the four chordal arrangements above to create the underlying chords.

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/fatbackMark2.mp3[/mp3]

fatbackMark2.png

Last edited:
Back