Fast drums

J

jason176

Trying to get back into the studio to make beats after a little vacation(actually, too busy with work) and am still having great difficulties. I swear everything I do turns into a fast paced song. I just can't lay the drums down and end up with a nice slow beat that someone could rhyme to. I have no problems layering and adding sounds to what I have made so far, I think the problem is just getting that first drum pattern going. I have tried programming them and banging them on pads and have yet to come up with something that doesn't end up feeling too fast. So I tried the search and after hours of reading I think I need to study basic drum structures in songs, I try to sit down and just chill and listen to music and pick it apart but it seems like something is constantly pulling my attention away from the drums (lyrics,bassines,etc.). As of right now I am starting with the kick and I think I am trying too hard at first, instead of developing multiple drums/instruments into a song, I think I am trying to make a song with 2 drums and nothing else. I have been trying to find videos of people online making beats and to me most of the time it seems like they are starting out with hardly any drum sounds yet they keep building upon what they have and in the end it sounds cool. Anybody got any quick advice, from my period of reading it appears that there are typical drum structures and backbeats and other things I am unfamiliar with, while I realize music can be a free for all as far as structure goes I am just trying to get the basics down. Any and all advice will be appreciated, as of now I think I am gonna keep researching and practicing, I know music lessons would step my game up but times becoming very sparse for me.

Back