Fading Out Kick Drum

A.I.Music

Hey All,

I've been researching this for awhile and have never found any advice on it.

I'm looking for advice on how to obtain that extended/fading kick drum "BOOM" you hear in some hip-hop and in a lot of Linkin Parks old stuff. you know that sustained kick sound that they usually slap on Beat 1 or 3?

I've seen some Linkin Park's life stuff and it appears the sound is obtain via a drum pad, but surely there's a way to replicate it somehow?

Shweet all!

808.jpg

The "bass drop" synth BDs aren't from the 808, though, contrary to popular belief...

The 808 is a classic for the 'sustained' kick sound, just find some samples with the decay set to full and tune it up.

There's at least 2 emulations that I know of about now. D16's 'Nepheton' and Audiorealisms 'ADM'. Both have 808 sounds in them ( though not samples, synthesis I believe )

Alternatively, you could create a decaying sub yourself using a sine wave + a sampler, if you put a pitch envelope over it, you'll get it quite close to an 808 kick, then resample it off, load it up into the sequencer again and fine tweak it and layer it over the kick where you want the decaying thing to happen.

Fantastic, thank you sooo much! I've been dying to know and couldn't find help anywhere.

You guys are great.

Rock On

dvyce said:
***WARNING: SPOILER ALERT***-- it is not done with pitch envelopes and you need to turn all your oscillators off :)

Double whammy spoiler alert!!! LOL

If you are using a sine wave, then you do need to use a pitch envelope, I was talking about creating a sound I'm on about with a sinewave + sampler.

Anyways, to the original poster: Here's some samples you may find useful.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7dmmk09tyk4

Some are from Nepheton, some from ADM, some of a real TR808 and there's a raw 80hz sine-wave and then the same sine passed through a pitch envelope 3 times.

I suppose if you want to make these kind of bass-drop sounds, you can either go the synth route as dvyce has suggested, or you can use a sampler with a sine wave. I prefer the latter as I don't really have anything which self oscillates.

Usually, I'd create a loop of the waveform ( which you can generate in most audio editors ) so it can play indefinitely, a single cycle will suffice and it keeps file size to a minimum. Faster pitch envelopes give more of a 'kick' type sound and I suppose it gets nearer to an 808, whereas a slower one could seem like a sine wave being pitch bent, just experiment with that and the filter envelope too as it can cause a click at the end sometimes.

Also worthy of note, if you simply want to add a 'sub-drop' to an existing kick, rather than replace it with the 'sub-drop', it help to shape the attack time of the 'sub-drop' so it doesn't interfere with the attack of the kick, make it a more gentle attack basically.

And if you really want to get anal and an original kick and sub wont work together layered up, take both samples to an editor, trim the attack portion of the kick and paste to a new wave, then delete any strong attack from the sub-drop and paste onto the attack portion of the kick. This can be tricky as you have to have the amplitude of both matching and you also have to join the waveforms together to follow the natural cycle of positive and negative and the join has to be made on the zero crossing.

If you didn't understand a word of that, no worries lol. It's actually really simple but it's not really an issue.

Back