Everything i write is in C and its annoying?

ItsChilla

Even when i'm just messing with samples or browsing loops the ones that appeal to me the most are in A minor or C Maj. I can write stuff in other keys and i know how to. This is a problem to me because i want some variety in the music i make. Imagine having an entire album written in one key only. When i do write stuff in other keys, i always feel like its not very good. Do i just suck at writing or is this normal?

idk, just write songs in other keys. they'll have a new vibe and require different tempo work and slight changes in arrangements, because a sad song is ...usually slower? An aggressive song is usually faster? lol so a key change requires some other changes too, like in tempo, swing, and stuff. I guess just practice in other keys and get a feel for writing in them. ...or listen to songs in various keys, but practicing yourself is always better.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter in itself, you can write all your music in C if you like, but not being able to does kind of imply you don't know how to do it properly.

Maybe write in C and then transpose it to other keys for starters then you can move to writing properly in other keys

have you tried writing something in C Maj or A min - then once you have the whole thing written, just transpose to see if it has a different flavor?

Just keep writing in other keys until it feels natural to you. If you keep writing in Am or C then when you swap to another key, it may sound odd to you as you're not used to it. I have a tendency to always go to Dm when I'm writing, so a lot of the time I'll write an idea in Dm and then transpose it. Just keep practicing away and it'll start to feel natural writing in other keys.

I don't know how much music theory you know, but gaining more knowledge about the many kinds of keys, scales, and chords is vital if you want to experiment more. For your next song, try and force your self to not use Amin or Cmaj at all. I don't care if it sounds good or not, but developing the habit of using other keys will assist you in being more creative.

In my opinion it's your own artistic choice, I wouldn't criticize an album for being on the same key, just do what feels right!

There's 2 things you can do here:
1) Transpose your tracks up or down X number of pitches
2) Study major and minor scales

I recommend option #2 if you want to fully maximize your musical potential. Try composing songs in other keys using charts online (I can't post links yet lol) and restrict yourself to just keys from those scales not named C major/A minor. That way you'll be able to hear songs in different keys as you compose. Insert accidentals where musically necessary. Message me if you have any other questions, and good luck.

Back