Emotions of the Musical Keys

dog64bull

Anyone know of any good books that gives you like some descriptions of the emotion or characteristics of musical keys?

There are no real emotional guidelines to musical keys in the 21st century.

This is especially true if you are using 12 tone equal temperament tuning; which if you are daw based only you are.

Why do I say this?

Because in equal temperament tuning all intervals are mathematically equivalent: there is no deviation from the mathemtical layout of notes in 12-tone equalt temperament.

It is why some folks you only need to learn the key of C major to understand (and be able to play in (by using MIDI transpose)) all keys.

If you were to ask about scales instead then there are some real differences which can be exploited.

The following is quoted from....

Different scales and modes bring different note choices to the equation

Scale/modeStructureMood/Sonority
Major TTSTTTS | 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8Generally classified as happy but some of my most sad melodies are written in the major
Natural minorTSTTSTT | 1-2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8Generally classified as sad
Harmonic minor and its modesTSTTST[sup][sup]1[/sup]/[sub]2[/sub][/sup]S | 1-2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-7-8can have a dark and middle eastern feel depending on which mode is used
Melodic minor and its modesTSTTTTS | 1-2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-6-7-8tends to be more jazzy in feel
Dorian modeTTSTTTS | 1-2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8minor with an upbeat nature
Phrygian modeTTSTTTS | 1-[sup]b[/sup]2-[sup]b[/sup]3-4-5-[sup]b[/sup]6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8minor with a darker character, almost Spanish in some respects
Lydian modeTTSTTTS | 1-2-3-[sup]#[/sup]4-5-6-7-8major with twist
Mixolydian modeTTSTTTS | 1-2-3-4-5-6-[sup]b[/sup]7-8major with a lighter character.
Synthetic scalesAny structure you wanteach has its own identity

the following is quoted from.... in which a chromatic theme is introduced to explore teh concept of sound design from an orchestral perspective. The post then moves on to explore changing the nature of the melody by changing the scale used

Now to consider the manipulation of this theme into other parallel tonalities
By changing the accidentals (#/b) in the melody we can shift the mood of the melody dramatically:

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/melSonoritiesTonalVars.mp3[/mp3]

melSonoritiesTonalVars.png

Explore each of the tonal/modal areas and compare it to the original theme - note what has changed and what has stayed the same. Lastly, note aurally how the theme has changed character simply by changing one or more notes to fit a new scale/mode.

Scale/ModeTones
MajorE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D[sup]#[/sup]-E
Nat minorE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G-A-B-C-D-E
PhrygianE-F-G-A-B-C-D-E
DorianE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G-A-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D-E
LydianE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A[sup]#[/sup]-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D[sup]#[/sup]-E
MixolydianE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D-E
Minor PentatonicE-G-A-B-D-E
Major pentatonicE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-E
BluesE-G-A-A[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]-B-D-E

Just intonation and the mood/sense of key
There are some solid references of the meaning and nature of keys within the era before equal temperament tuning took hold.

Of those out there the following two are perhaps the most telling:

Beethoven's thoughts on key and mood
keys | San Francisco Symphony Keeping Score

Scriabin's thoughts on colours to be associated with individual pitches
Alexander Scriabin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scriabin
Scriabin colour organ performance review

It is also important to consider whether the links between colour (the light spectrum) and sound (the audio spectrum) are valid. Some critics and historians point to Scriabin's synaesthesia (one sense perceiving in terms of another sense - i.e. hearing music as colours) as the possible source of his pre-occupation with colour and sound equivalencies....

Beethoven's preoccupation was more of an attempt to link keys with scenery as an aid to writing appropriate material

Last edited:
^^^^That's true. If you are using equal temperament (which you most likely are), then there is no difference.

There is an esoteric link between chakras and pitch. Every chakra has positive and negative qualities as well as tone and color.
Furthermore every chakra is linked to a hormonal gland which secrets psychoactive substances.
You can research this matter here - reiki-for-holistic-health.com/chakra-diagram.html

I know this topic is old, but I have a related question to Bandcoach or anybody who knows about this theory...

What's your opinion on the whole A432 theory?

I'm asking this because I've done some research on this and while the facts on the significance on tuning to A432 are true, all the benefits and affects on people that I've read seem to be really subjective and sound like nothing more than hippie propaganda. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, I personally like hippies, but this sounds like it contradicts the whole fact that there are equal temperaments between keys and isn't really worth the extra effort. So do you think this whole theory is fact or opinion?

we have actually been over this in a few threads here at fp

most (if not all) of the claims made cannot be substantiated beyond the application to simple sine waves

search 432 for more opinions and discussion debate

Back