Elements of a true hip hop beat?

JAMsBeats

Hey guys I'm making a hip hop beat and I have most of it down. I have my sample, my drums, my snare, and my hats, but I feel like something is missing to give it that old school feel. What other instruments might one suggest?:berzerk:

Some form of keys, a bass (upright or bass guitar), and some strings and horns.

If you are looking for truly 1st school rap, then you need more percussion, particular cowbells and congas and less of everything else (maybe just a bass and the kit)

You definately need a funky bassline - thats what hip-hop was born from! And as bandcoach said, more percussion.

Hey guys I'm making a hip hop beat and I have most of it down. I have my sample, my drums, my snare, and my hats, but I feel like something is missing to give it that old school feel. What other instruments might one suggest?:berzerk:
on top of what bandcoach said u can add vinyl noise that would give and old school feel since hip hop was created from sampling vinyl

Creativity, maybe a nice sample chop, +

One of the best narratives about hip-hop. J-Live, he did the beat too but i think the lyrics can be applied to beats too. my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Get those 808's in there yo.....you don't got hip hop if you don't got bass.

just goes to show that you really don't know shiiiiit about hip-hop/rap 1st school would not have used the 808 as it was first produced in 1980, and we all know that hip-hop/rap claims a much earlier lineage than that......

Back