element terminology in songs...

Bro_Random

In one of my forums, I got structure confused with elements but what I meant to say was "how do you structure elements in a song"? I'm trying to also figure out the terminology of elements like bass, melody, fills, extra instruments, etc.

Help? Thanks!

Bro_Random said:
I'm trying to also figure out the terminology of elements like bass, melody, fills, extra instruments, etc.

So we gotta name u the other elements or what?
I think it will be better if u asked what means any certain term, coz it's kinda pointless to enumerate all elements we know.

I dunno I'm just confused on how instrumentals are put together and how they are organized just right and not sounding cluttered up

Bro_Random said:
I dunno I'm just confused on how instrumentals are put together and how they are organized just right and not sounding cluttered up
Sounds like you're referring to the arrangement. The main elements are:

• Foundattion: Usually drums, bass and maybe guitar & keys

Groove: Rhythm instruments playing against the foundation. For example, drums, bass and keys could be the foundation with guitar playing a counter rhythm to make up the groove.

Pads: Longer, sustaining notes that pad or support the tune usually played by strings, synths, organ, guitar, ect.

Lead: Vocals and/or soling instruments

Fills: Instruments that fill in spaces around the lead.
Try not to think of these elements as single instruments. A group of instruments can play the groove. For example, guitar and horns could play a simple rhythm in unison against the foundation.

And it's not necessary to have all elements playing at once. It takes a great arrangement to get all 5 happening at the same time. 3 at a time is good, and 4 is common.

If your arrangement is cluttered, you may have too many elements playing at once, or your elements are clashing.

If you're concerned about a particular tune, try building it from scratch. Mute everything except for the drums and bass. Make sure that your foundation is solid.

Then add other rhythm instruments one by one to creat your groove. Listen for a while after adding each instrument. When things start to sound cluttered, the new instrument, or the one it's clashing with is the problem. Make some edits or drop an instrument all together.

Finally, make sure your pad, if you have one, is not getting in the way. And most importantly, make sure none of the elements get in the way of the lead. If anything is in the lead's way, you may want to build the tune again, but add the lead immediately after the foundation, then other rhythm instruments, ect. Anything trampling on the lead needs editing.

Thanks Bezo! Thats mostly what I'm trying to learn... I have trouble figuring out changes and I have no idea how they get 3 or 4 instruments playing at the same time and not making it sound cluttered... thats the main deal that I can't understand

P.S. know of any websites for this topic?

Bro_Random said:
I have trouble figuring out changes
Changes? Chord changes?

Bro_Random said:
...and I have no idea how they get 3 or 4 instruments playing at the same time and not making it sound cluttered... thats the main deal that I can't understand
I would suggest, first, building the track in steps like I explained above. At each step, get the sound in your head first. Beat box the drums, hum the base line, melody, harmony, ect.

And every time you go to add a part/instrument, first decide what element it will be a part of. So, after you lay down drums and bass as your foundation, and you want to add keys for example, decide whether you want them to be part of the foundation, play against the foundation, or both. Hum the part and then play it. By humming it, you'll have a good idea if it works before you ever play/record it.

Do that for each rhythm instrument you want to add, and keep the groove in mind. And realize a groove can sound good with as little as 1 or 2 instruments. Once the groove is grooving, let it breath. If you want density, additonal instruments should become part of the foundation, emphasizing the same beats, or play against the foundation, emphasizing the same beats as other instruments playing against the foundation.

Depending on the density of the groove, you may or may not need a pad. If the groove is already filling out the track, consider not having a pad, where as a sparce groove may need one.

I always write melodies after my groove is established, but consider writing it before you add to the foundation, or even before you establish the foundation. Either way, try humming the part before attempting to play it.

Add ocassional fills around your melody. Again, if your groove is filling out the track, you may not need fills. If part of your groove is horn stabs hitting on the 4th beat, or the and of the 4th beat, that could serve as your fill. But if you want to add fills, consider dropping an instrument or 2 out of the groove for a moment. Same if your melody is busy. You may not need fills. Remember, not everything has to be happening at the same time.

The key is to find balance. If one element is busy, other elements should be sparce or absent. And experiment with the arrangement. A pad may not come in until the very end of a verse, or not until the chorus. Or your melody may start of sparce, needing fills, but get busier towards the end of a verse and not need fills.

And I'm saying all of this assuming you have a basic understanding of theory. Hopefully playing out of key is not the source of you clutter. Having a good ear and humming parts first can help you get around this, but if you're not familiar with keys, scales and harmony, you may want to study.

Bro_Random said:
P.S. know of any websites for this topic?
Nah, but if you're going to search, you're looking for info on arrangements.

Back