electronic dance music producer

sandeepivan

Hi guys,

What kind of music theory does a electro house dj producer need to know so he can produce a dance music?
I know the basic about scales,chord,beats and melody.Is there any theory i need to study for dance music
production?

Thanks in advance :)

The User Bandcoach has some really great tutorials on music basics. I suggest you start there.

Band Coach - Philosophies in teaching, composition and life in general

Obviously listen and LISTEN to as much EDM as possible. You can make this constructive if you want (I suggest you do). Make a listening journal....this can be something portable you have with you ( iPhone, Galaxy II, or what ever smart phone with a NOTES application) when you listen to a track. Take down (in point form) what interests you. This is important because it will inform you of what types of sounds / beats / producers you like. Also don't be shy with writing down the ones you don't like. This is also very important because you will become more educated to the things you don't like and why you don't like them. bottom line this kind of practice starting out will shape you in the long run. It will help you to listen actively and not passively.

Dichotomos gave great advice! You really just need to do some critical listening and figure out what sounds good to you. As far as music theory is concerned, there isn’t a particular type of music theory for any specific genre. Music theory is exactly that… MUSIC theory. I have to force myself sometimes to just sit down and study theory a bit each day. It can be a bit dry, but it pays in the end. There will always be new things to learn in that respect, and we need to keep on looking for more knowledge. Also, remember that there really aren’t any set rules that HAVE to be followed when it comes to making music. Music theory gives you a good foundation to get you on the right track, but it is up to the composer/producer to make the composition work. Most successful producers are able to work in any genre with no problem. It is better to experiment with different things than it is to just stick to a particular way of doing things. Always switch it up! I sometimes need to follow my own advice LOL. I hope this helps.

-HM-

Back