Electro, Minimal & Tech-House

D

dimi_vegas

Hello,

I've attached some clips of minimal/tech tracks i find very interesting to this post.
They contain some sounds i've been trying to recreate with different sorts of vsts lately.
For example : korg set/nexus/hypersonic/minimoog... in combination with trash/predat-ohm, quadrafuzz...
Unfortunately, i don't seem to get it right...
If anyone could help me out recreating one of these type of sounds, would be great. Or if anyone has a patch of a vst instrument or effect to send me, even better 8)

If anyone can recommend any soft or hardware to create dirty similar sounds to these, please let me know!

many thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi dimi,

i can't hear the snippets here at work, but i'll recommend some plugins that are industry standard for electronic music:

- Cycling '74 - Pluggo
- Cycling '74 - Mode

Also, as you may know, the Reaktor 5 is a powerfull tool. You can create every sound with Reaktor, from drums to synth-line, basses, pads, fx... u can sequence, u can build your ensembles (the reaktor name for instruments)... everything, no limitations.

hello,

thanks for the quick reply. i know that normally i should be able to re-create the sounds with reactor..but I haven't succeeded yet :(
If you find the time, have a go an let me know... you'll find that its not so easy to get these sounds. Its easy to create distorted sound, but not as fine as these..at least i think! but i ight be doing something wrong... hopefully someone can explain the way to work in detail

greetz,

dimi_vegas said:
Hello,

I've attached some clips of minimal/tech tracks i find very interesting to this post.
They contain some sounds i've been trying to recreate with different sorts of vsts lately.
For example : korg set/nexus/hypersonic/minimoog... in combination with trash/predat-ohm, quadrafuzz...
Unfortunately, i don't seem to get it right...
If anyone could help me out recreating one of these type of sounds, would be great. Or if anyone has a patch of a vst instrument or effect to send me, even better 8)

If anyone can recommend any soft or hardware to create dirty similar sounds to these, please let me know!

many thanks in advance!

The clips you posted are low quality, but from what i can hear, the synths sound like analogue polysynths... particularly Roland MKS line synths (there is a particular touch of "metallic hollowness", as I like to describe it, that I hear in there that is distinctively MKS to me)

It does not sound like a Korg polysynth (i.e., poly 6, poly 61, poly-800, etc) but it is the type of sound that could be made with one (even though it does not sound to me as if it actually was made with one) so you may want to try your Korg Poly6 vst that you have... I would say that is your best starting point.

Even if you were able to make the dry sounds from those clips you posted, you wouldn't be able to get it to sound as good as those without the right reverb and delay.

have you tried detuned oscillators (all three) and an lfo on a lpf for the last one? other than that, a combination of distortions and filters in series should eventually get you to the promised land.

all pretty mcuh simple sound design techniques to recreate those. Keep praticing! Learn what all the values and parameters on a synth are for....and then you have the ability to create sounds based on the expected outcome.

Takes time, practice and a understanding of what filters, lfo's and such do on a synth.

If you want to get into a lot of those types of sounds, you should get into samplers and using sampled waveforms. The sonic potential is huge and totally open ended. You will achieve your own identity a lot more with a sound designing practice this way.

A lot of minimal tech house and electro house sounds wont come right off a synth, resampling, processing and a lot of experimentation will be of a lot of use to you. Your raw analog ( and digital FM ) waveforms will provide a good base to build unique patches in your sampler, layer them up and filter them differently to get new sounds, use the samplers LFO's and envelopes creatively too. Remember unlike a single synth, a sampler can apply different filter types to each sample, which makes it effective for layering sounds without additional eq.

Example: An electro bass sound could consist of a raw looped sawtooth waveform, a sinewave and a square wave. You could set the sine to a low octave for the bottom end, filter the saw with a BP filter to keep definition but cut out the bass, then layer in another filtered square an octave higher for tonality. Then shape the ADSR of the group to give yourself a nice thick Moog style '3osc' bass patch. The file size would be small if you have looped waveforms and far, far less CPU than layering 3 instances of a synth all eq'd differently.

Layering sounds is the key to a lot of that stuff anyway and samplers provide a very good way of doing it all. ( You can generate your own waveforms right in your audio editor. You could theoretically, make all your sounds without ever going near a synth...)

Back