Easy way 2 make non-computerized hit-hats !?!

K

knowledgeBeatz

How can I make non computerized hit-hats with reason??? f those lines in software, this **** sounds homo. I have midi keyboard but when I play hithats I can't get them all in right time nd when played they r not on lines so copy/paste looping becomes hard and it takes too much time.

Tx

knowledgeBeatz said:
I have midi keyboard but when I play hithats I can't get them all in right time nd when played they r not on lines so copy/paste looping becomes hard and it takes too much time.
Practice.

Step sequence a simple kick-snare rhythm so you have something to play to. Either practice along with that until you get the desired rhythm, or record a few minutes of your practicing and use some bars that you're satisfied with.

If that doesn't work, try putting a loose quantize on while you record. People complain about Pro Tools MIDI capabilities(what I use), and it has a quantize strength function, so I can't imagine it's not standard on other sequencers. Set it somewhere between 70-85% maybe. That will help place your hits more on time, but won't stiffen your groove completely.

If that doesn't do it, step sequence your hi hats, then go back and either quantize them with the desired swing, or manually move some hits. If your sequencer will allow, do this while the beat is playing so you can hear the effects of your changes in real time. And vary the velocity of the hits so they're not all the same.

Another feature Pro Tools has that I'm sure other sequencers have is a groove finder or beat detective. It allows you to copy the feel of an audio track and apply it to your sequence. Try finding a drum break you like, import it, copy the groove and use it on your step sequenced hats.

Hey man, like Bezo said, there is a button you can press on the top right section of the sequencer that will quantize the notes while you are recording. You might have to play with the quantize settings for it to work right. For example you don't want all the notes quantized to the nearest 1/4 note, maybe 1/16 or maaaaaybe 1/32 where you would have to be pretty on point while you're playing. Depends how much help you need. You might still have to move some hits around though.

I think one of the most important things to keep in mind in order to get a good sounding hihat pattern is to varie the velocities of the hihats. It'll add more dynamics to them instead of hearing the exact same hihat sound for every hit. Practice accentuanting some of the hits with a higher velocity and leaving others lower. It will definitly help make it sound less "computerized" and static.

Hope this helps.

tx guyz, 4 velocities thing I know that and I'm doin dat right, but when I listen ex. Drop a Gem on'Em (Mobb Depp), I can't quarantize mines like dat, impossible. Those Reason lines are fukin all. No tempo, no quarantize setting gave me hit-hats like dat.

knowledgeBeatz said:
Drop a Gem on'Em (Mobb Depp), I can't quarantize mines like dat, impossible. Those Reason lines are fukin all. No tempo, no quarantize setting gave me hit-hats like dat.
Those are just straight 8th notes. They actually sound pretty stiff. Maybe it's the hats against he groove of the samples that make them sound good.

Try importing that tune into your rig and sequence your hats right under it.

Hecks yeah, these guys know what theyre talkin bout. figure out those quantize settings and follow your transport window which will display tempo settings etc. I know reason and pro tools both have grid mode so display your grid and youll be able to see if data is sitting on the tempo as you would like it. Then from there its copy and paste...:D

Back