east coast, west coast, dirty south drumz

G

Gaudcent

What are the main differences in drum patterns....my beats always end up sounding east coast. Besides the obvious synth styles used in the different types.. i need tips for making distinctavely west coast, south or east beats

dirty south is fast with a lot of cowbells...west is slow with a lot of cowbells...east is inbetween with no cowbells

nah im playin..u cant just define **** like that. Be yourself...do what feels right to u. Even if ur from the east throw some cowbells on that **** and turn it up to 170bpm

yeah biatch

If you have to ask how to make it... or blatantly try to make a particular type of beat... it'll sound forced a fake.

Just make beats. If you must categorize it, try it after you make it...

Hard to describe easily because the music does change. But some East coast beats have sampled drums from vinyl and usually the BPM is not very fast. But that's not a rule either, so anything goes.

West Coast used to feel more like R&B to me. Heavy synth bass and banging drums very similar to East Coast drums, but cleaner and bigger. PFunk was king. Gave birth to GFunk, which is the same damn thang, acting like it was something new.

South side drums seem more straight variations on the 808 and other ole skool drum machines now. Back when Organized Noize held the South throne, there was a diversity of drum sounds, but less so now. Tempoes are very quick too.

Those are just my thoughts.

Not the gospel by no means.

Peace.

Last edited:
West Coast & Dirty South are experimental with mainly electronic noises (808, 909, 707) and synths.

East Coast is generally experimental with all sounds, including electronic drums if the producer so feels. The drum patterns themselves are also a bit more experimented. It's basically the producer doing anything musically possible to make an ass shake. He'll put it a baby farting noise if he has to, and if it fits the beat. As long as it works.

My best advice would be to make beats. Just keep making beats, and after you're done making them, THEN separate them by which category they 'ended up' being. So when a vocalist approaches you and says "Gimme some hot dirty south", you don't have to come to futureproducers.com and ask "what are the basics for making a dirty south beat?" You'll already have an inventory of beats for the artist to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:
LostProfit said:
dirty south is fast with a lot of cowbells...west is slow with a lot of cowbells...east is inbetween with no cowbells

nah im playin..u cant just define **** like that. Be yourself...do what feels right to u. Even if ur from the east throw some cowbells on that **** and turn it up to 170bpm

yeah biatch

LOL

PFunk was king. Gave birth to GFunk, which is the same damn thang, acting like it was something new.

G Funk is a little different than P Funk. It is slowed down,more bass heavy and less Bernie Worrell keyboard sounding than P funk. Same train of thought but with a little twist. Same thing for Bay Area sound which all about sounding like Bernie Worrel.

www.soundclick.com/hamza21
www.myspace.com/hamza21

Back