Easier to learn/pick up guitar or piano???

Personally I find the piano easier, but that is the instrument I've been playing for a lot of years. when I started guitar two years back I was really shocked how hard it was compared to the piano. On a guitar one certain note can be played on more than one string. If I want to play an F2 on the piano..there is only one key on the piano that gives me that sound. On the guitar that same note can be played on more different strings , and you have to find the "easiest" way to play the note, depending on the position you use at that moment.

On the other hand...the piano IS more versatile and if you wanna play really good sounding stuff, then it gives you a challenge. Someone already said using your hands independently is really hard, and it is. You really need to practice that. On the guitar you use both hands as well, but your left hand doesn't produce a sound, it just supports your right hand when strumming or playing melodies. On the piano both your left and right hand can produce different sounds at the same time. It's like playing two instruments at once. One instrument played with your left hand, the other one with your right hand. Those two combinied can create beautiful music...and that is what the guitar lacks: playing different melodies at the same time, or supporting your right hand melody with harmonies played on your left hand. Piano gives more possibilities and is a more "complete" instrument.

Back