Each sound should sit in own frequency range?

Sequence2

The concept that each sound within a mix should sit within its own frequency range is nothing new to me (i've read it/ head it over and over)
I have also read many threads/ guides which say that although this rule is important, always do what sounds right as opposed to following the rule book

When working on a production.. I get my low end completed first (below 250hz) then my bass line (which can sit anywhere between 300hz-3500hz) and obviously my kick drum (Which has a low/ mid/ hi end)
this is where my question comes in:
Judging by the above values, I have supposodly used 'up' the frequency range between 50hz-3500hz. does this mean that any new sounds I wish to add should not have a frequency value below 3500hz as the sounds will compete with the bass line/ sub?
I know this may sound silly.. I have already thought "yeah, don't add any sounds with a value below 3500hz"
But I find it very difficult do to this at times when new sounds I find seem to fit so well..

To add to this question.. if I have used up the frequency range up to 3500hz and I find another sound that sits between 1500hz-5500hz.. is it a good/bad idea to use this sound? (In a sense, i'm asking if overlaps in frequencies are common?)
I know I can judge by listening to the mix with the sounds all going at the same time.. but this has been something on my mind for quite some time and I was looking to get some input from those who are more experienced with Eq'ing

It just seems odd to me when I read that each instrument/ sound should have its own spot in the mix as the majority of sounds I try to load up can't fit exactly as the statement I hear over and over states
Ie.
Sub (50hz-250hz)
Bassline (300hz - 3500hz)
Sound 1 (3500hz - 5500hz)
Sound 2 (6000hz - 8500hz)
Sound 3 (8500hz - 12,000hz)
^ Is this what people mean when they say "Each sound must have its own spot in the mix"
-but I find doing the above just takes the life out of all the sounds..

any input appreciated! Thanks!

No.

It's not that fine lined. You just don't want sounds clashing and distorting. For the most part, a parametric EQ on the master output can cover just about everything you need if you know how to mix and level your sounds.

Last edited:
the way i see it is not every single sound needs its own little private property, but thats the idea and it helps.
Besides drums, I think every Instrument played should have it certain dominance in a certain range too, like pianos in the lower with horns in the mids and chimes in the highs. and bits inbetween wraping around the major instruments, just filling up empty space without fighting over land, just making shure everything wraps around eachother, I kinda visulize the sounds and space in my head its kinda really hard to explain it to make sense lol

It doesn't have to be exact, but you should have a sense of space with each sound when you're initially picking your sounds! Just make sure you try not to have too many sounds fighting for the same frequencies, then EQ accordingly after that and you should be on your way.

Don't try to 'overcomplicate' it by focusing on which sound should be on which exact frequency range etc, etc. That's just taking the fun out of it. Just keep practising and learn to develop a more intuitive sense about where sounds should fit with each other. It'll come with time and practice, I promise you!

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it
Yeah i've never stuck to that specific of a guideline.. just been having troubles with some sounds lately and this was something that kept coming to my mind, so I thought i'd ask to clarify

Forget the numbers - your bass line would start above middle c based on those numbers when it should be two octaves below more or less.

Every sound in it's own space is a mix of:
  • levels
  • panning - stereo positioning
  • filtering - high-pass/low-pass/band-pass
  • eq - creative boost or cuts that or more targeted than broad filtering

In my experience any one guide will omit or gloss over one or more of these facets...

Subtractive EQ. Carve space in the mix for one element by identifying a sounds vital frequency(ies) and dip those in other elements that else would have been colliding. Also; subtract more that you add when using EQ. Subtractive EQ is a great way to unclutter a mix. Few elements, well thought of and layer the elements to make stronger sounds. But don't just layer wildly; use time on layering and also here; subtractive EQ. And boosting EQ also ofc, if necessary. Also; use time and space (timing and panning) to give sounds/elements their own place in the mix. And learn to use effects properly, don´t just toss in those reverbs and delays. Watch Pensado´s Place on youtube for brilliant mix tips; really changed my mixing.
Best of luck.

Last edited:
Back