Dubstep: Question about Sub Bass

SNoWMiZZLe

So I haven't been able to hop on my host DAW and try this yet, and I won't be able to for a little bit because I'm so busy, but a question has recently come up in my head, and I figure this is the community to ask.

One of my main techniques of learning any kind of production, is to first listen to a ton of different artists associated with the genre. I try to visualize the different techniques they're using, such as a cutoff fade in/out, crusher, and how many different synth patches are incorporated into the works. I'm not an experienced Dubstep producer, but I've been working at it non stop for a while now. I'm pretty much down to the finishing touches on my first piece, but it doesn't sound quite full enough. After some brainstorming and researching I saw that many Dubstep pieces include Sub Bass variants. That's what I'm missing. But Sub Bass isn't something I've worked with before, so I've got some questions:

I know I can add Sub Bass as a completely different melody, but that's not what I'm looking to do. Since I don't have time to experiment with this for a while, I'm wondering if Sub Bass can be layered with wobbles and other sounds, rather than being a solo melody. I'm thinking that might be the final key to getting my full, professional quality sound. I can program my synth patches perfectly, and I mainly use Massive, but for my current synths in my first piece, all three oscillators are taken. I don't have a way to incorporate the Sub directly into the patch. So would it work if I brought up another Massive, and just layered the Sub to play with my main wobbles and growls?

Oh yeah, and what is the typical Hz range for Sub basses? I figured somewhere between 50-100, but any recommendations are VERY appreciated!

If this all sounds bogus, it's just my weird mind dissecting the music. But I got the idea of layering the Sub from the track "V" by Distance. At the drop, you can hear it get pretty bassy, and I figured that was a layered Sub bass. Thanks for any and all help!

I know I can add Sub Bass as a completely different melody, but that's not what I'm looking to do.

well why not? that's what i do. its easier to just have one sub bass to worry about versus three or four depending on the amount of synths or whatever you plan to use. think of all that EQing you'll have to do.

I know I can add Sub Bass as a completely different melody, but that's not what I'm looking to do. Since I don't have time to experiment with this for a while, I'm wondering if Sub Bass can be layered with wobbles and other sounds, rather than being a solo melody. I'm thinking that might be the final key to getting my full, professional quality sound. I can program my synth patches perfectly, and I mainly use Massive, but for my current synths in my first piece, all three oscillators are taken. I don't have a way to incorporate the Sub directly into the patch. So would it work if I brought up another Massive, and just layered the Sub to play with my main wobbles and growls?

Oh yeah, and what is the typical Hz range for Sub basses? I figured somewhere between 50-100, but any recommendations are VERY appreciated!

!

Typical range - 30Hz -80Hz

You can use it to play a different melody, but I usually dont, sometimes I will use sub bass to hold notes over or just play along under the mid range, which leads to the next point:

you CAN and SHOULD layer your sub bass with your melody or bassline.

Just use EQ to make sure you arent clashing frequencies

other random tips:

try using glide
use a pure sine wave OR
layer another wave (sq/sw) and EQ/Filter it HARD so you arent letting in anything out of the sub range

Well I managed to get a decent sub going. As least I think it's decent. It was a rattling the hell out of everything, so I had to compress those peaks a bit. But it seems like I should only use the sub higher pitched synth patches going into the 350+ Hz range. My synth patches that are deep and gritty just seem to lose their warmth completely because I have to EQ out the lower Hz frequencies so the Sub doesn't clash with it. Mainly just having a lot of trouble blending it in smoothly for my deeper "growl" type patches.

Well I managed to get a decent sub going. As least I think it's decent. It was a rattling the hell out of everything, so I had to compress those peaks a bit. But it seems like I should only use the sub higher pitched synth patches going into the 350+ Hz range. My synth patches that are deep and gritty just seem to lose their warmth completely because I have to EQ out the lower Hz frequencies so the Sub doesn't clash with it. Mainly just having a lot of trouble blending it in smoothly for my deeper "growl" type patches.

what did you do? roll off all the lows from your synths? or are you boosting your sub to the point you can't feel the lows of anything else?

I took out the lows from the synths. I was taught to subtract excess frequency levels before boosting anything else.

Yeah you don't have to open another instance of Massive, IDK which DAW you're using but any basic synth that can play a pure sine wave works just fine. Be careful though - you really have to turn the volume down on that channel. Especially if you're making the music on a system that doesn't have a sub, then you move the song over to a system with a sub it'll blast it. Like on the song I just finished, I layered a pure sine wave under my synth and had that channel at about -26 db.

Last edited:

your sub should NOT be going into 350Hz range

it should be 80Hz maybe a little more

you are probably cutting too much of your midrange thats why its losing its power

remember, you arent supposed to HEAR your sub, you are supposed to feel it... so chop all that extra shit over the 80-90Hz mark and let your midrange take that 100Hz+ area that is so important for a heavy midrange bass to have

you are probably cutting out too much

Back