drum rolls - sampled or programmed?

PROTator

Scientist
alright, I was just wondering how everybody else likes to do them. I know they are a ***** and a half to program, so do ppl just sample them or do you use both in the same song?

Also I want to know how Kanye (yes another one of those questions) does the drum rolls in Jesus Walks. They sound sampled, but it could be just a single hit with some programming.

Last but not least, are there any midi drum roll / flam creators?

Thanks for replies...

I think the kanye roll is samples from like a marching band kinda thing.

I program then.

What program do you use?

I just like to play them

How does Kanye do it ? well there are only soo many ways he can do it
sample it, program/play it

I think there are sme controllers that have that feature like the Trigger finger and that mpd24

I use cubase with battery for drums. I wasnt trying to figure out how to trigger them, but if there was a program that could create drumrolls, so that one of the triggers (e.g. one pad on the TF or MPD16/24) creates a drumroll by itself. Anybody know?

there are tons and tons of sampled rolls from great great great drummers. you really think you can do better than a classic drummer? try again.

the key is chopping these up into recycle and loading the rex file into your sampler of choice. that way you still get the hat sustain on top of all your hits and the groove of a natural drummer yet can still do the edits so no one will sample spot your rolls.

juice.

call me old-fashioned but i like playing them myself. Anyone can become a good drummer, just takes some practice. I think you will be more in touch with your music if you create the beats yourself, no matter how simple they are.

Back