Drum / Rhythm Theory...???

Chew_Bear

Which aspect of your drums/rhythm section has the biggest impact on your song....???

Is it...

A. Drum Selection (Drum kit, sample pack, drum machine etc.)

B. Drum Pattern (genre/tempo dependent)

C. Groove Selection / Quantization (non-robotic / more human feel)

D. Syncopation (off beat rhythm)

Obviously...you want to be good in all 4 areas...so...

1. Does or can gear play a role in making a better drum/rhythm section...???

In other words...Can gear 'make up' or mask/disguise the weaker parts of your drum/rhythm section...???

2. Do certain genres or tempos 'use/incorporate' different aspects to various degrees...???

e.g. dubstep/trap = selection & pattern, hip hop = groove & syncopation

Say...even if your working in something as simple as 100bpm ambient/chill where drums/rhythm pretty much take a back seat...Can you be 'lazy/half ass' the drums/rhythm section than...???

Or...is it as simple as...you should always strive to work on all aspects of your drum section as best as you can...regardless of tempo/genre...???

3. Do certain genres/tempos require more 'work' in certain aspects, in order for the song to 'groove' correctly...??? (e.g. dubstep/trap = selection, pattern, groove)

Therefore...should a newbie start with a more 'simple/easy' genre in order to learn all 4 aspects more efficiently...???

5. Which aspect do most amateur/newbie producers struggle with most...???

Do some 'Pro/Seasoned Vet' producers still struggle in 1 or 2 areas...???

Or...is it as simple as when you have finally amassed enough experience/gear...you will pretty much have all 4 aspects on 'lockdown' for your particular genre/style of music...???

Apologies for all the newbie questions. lol.

Last edited:
To your first question, my answer would be all of that together makes a good drum track. There's not one specific thing that creates a groovy drum track with great dynamics. The first step is making the right choices for the sounds you are using in order to solve the idea or vision in your head. You will end up making choices for all of the things that you listed though. All of it is important.

You're seriously overthinking all of this but you are headed in the right direction if you are concerned with all of the details that you are asking about.
There are no certain rules to doing anything of what you are asking about, but there are some general or loose guidelines. You just need to study/research a bit sit and play/record/arrange and gather experience to see what you like or prefer in terms of your own sound.

all of it bruh, forget rules when it comes to drums, just get that groove that gets your head bobbin'. Then you can eq etc in post.

Main reason for the thread and why I am confused on drum rhythm/theory.....

1. As a producer...Is your goal supposed to be able to create a groove/drum pattern that should 'mimic' what a real drummer can theoretically/physically be able to play on a real drum set...???

i.e. If given a opportunity...a real drummer can and should be able to play your drum pattern/groove as if he wrote/made the groove/pattern himself.

I guess this all depends on what genre/style of music your working in...So to that extent...When it comes to drum theory and real drummers...

2. What's physically possible...??? And what's not...???

Specifically speaking...mainly...

A. Speed/Tempo

i.e. How fast is physically out of most drummer's/drum theories ability...???

B. Pattern/Combos of instruments

i.e. Obviously a drummer only has 2 feet and 2 hands. There are a limited number of instruments/sounds a drummer can physically hit at any given time in consecutive succession...So...Which patterns/combo of instruments/sounds are theoretically possible and which ones are not...???

In the end...

Is it a lot more simple than what I make it to be and that you have all the freedom in the world when it comes to making your groove/drum pattern...regardless of what a real drummer can actually/physically be able to play...???

Hopefully that made more sense. LOL.

Last edited:
You don't have to make it playable unless you really want it to sound like a real drummer.

Why would you? Its not like only real drummers sound good.

Back