drum patterns in FL Studio

J-Villa

do you keep each instrument (hhat, snare, kick, etc...) on it's own pattern? or do you create everything on the same pattern?

At First, I Used To Do That Cuz If I Jus Wanted To Take Out A "Hat" Pattern For A Bar, It Was Simpler Than Creatin A Whole New Pattern .. But If Im Gonna Stay Constant Wit My Drum Pattern, Ill Jus Make A Few Pattern Wit All Tha Hats, Snares, etc. On It ...

InSight-Beats said:
At First, I Used To Do That Cuz If I Jus Wanted To Take Out A "Hat" Pattern For A Bar, It Was Simpler Than Creatin A Whole New Pattern .. But If Im Gonna Stay Constant Wit My Drum Pattern, Ill Jus Make A Few Pattern Wit All Tha Hats, Snares, etc. On It ...

same here when using FL

I almost allways make to all drum channels their on patterns and its good to make the same patterns with different drums....it's like you make one snare pattern and copy it to a 3 or 4 differnet snares...it could make a nice effect, but it depends on what kind of style are you makeing for example for DnB it has given me much great songs ...etc...

I just make one pattern for drums then record a pattern of mute/solo events. You get a lot of cool drops this way and it sounds less rigid than a straight sequence change.

I don't get it...why would u give each instrument it's own pattern?
u can do the same thing with 1 pattern than u can with 7 different ones stacked..

ClC said:
I don't get it...why would u give each instrument it's own pattern?
u can do the same thing with 1 pattern than u can with 7 different ones stacked..

But if you have everything on it's own pattern, it's easier to bring things in and out...

Generally I make all my melodies on a different pattern... drums come off hte MPC... so when I want to bring in say a piano for a bar... i can do it easily...

kid848 said:

But if you have everything on it's own pattern, it's easier to bring things in and out...

but you also have to change patterns every time and you lose valuable time.
I think that`s unnecessary...

so erm, is it better to separate the instruments into different patterns or the other way? For me,my music genre is rock,so which is better?

Last edited:
What I usually do is make the basic drum pattern which is only about five or six instruments on one pattern then i'll copy each instrument to it's own pattern. This way you can program the song better. Check the tutorials that come with Fl Studio and study how they sequenced those songs and you'll see theres mad way to go about sequencing.

Nuff_Noyz said:
I just make one pattern for drums then record a pattern of mute/solo events. You get a lot of cool drops this way and it sounds less rigid than a straight sequence change.

thats pretty much how i do it. i end up with 50+ patterns pretty regularly..... cept i actually manually make 'mutes' and stuff like that instead of recording it. once i got those parts down, arranging is totally wide open. i can put anything, anywhere.....

and i wouldnt call it 'confusing', id call it a 'song'..... loops are boring.

if everyhting is in one pattern, your stuck with that pattern. i make my tracks as modular as possible. down to the final rendering...... so im free to arrange it however i want, without having to worry about what is in what pattern.....

peace.

Back