Drum Patterns

Everythiing

How did all the producers learn to make drum patterns so well?For example : Party Monster by the Weeknd.How did the producer learn to make that pattern?In general how do all producers learn to make such great drum patterns?

Sometimes I wonder about this as well. I think It's all about doing it over and over again. Also listen to music. Try to analyze the patterns. Try to rebuild the patterns. Change the patterns.

I don't hear what's so special about those drums.. If you think that's crazy, lol.
In any case. You don't just come up with a pattern and that's it.. it's an iterative process. I start with a basic rhythm and then keep processing it and building it, trying to keep it fresh.
Having something like a Maschine or Ableton Push is great for this.

Any analogies for the non-gamers? And out of curiosity, on average, what do people here think is a solid rate of progression? I don't do that much with production... I say I dabble. It's when I have time and am in the mood, which isn't horribly often. I feel like I really sit down once every few weeks. I mean, we're all different in our learning and growth, to an extent, but how many hours do people who feel they are really getting somewhere, or maybe even selling shit well, put in each week?

Once every few weeks will not do it. You need to listen to all kinds of music voraciously, and practice playing/programming/composing daily. That is how you will see progress.

Basically the less dabbling you do the faster you get good at it. Gamers have a tendency to overplay their favorite games to the point of being extremely comfy.

Any analogies for the non-gamers? And out of curiosity, on average, what do people here think is a solid rate of progression? I don't do that much with production... I say I dabble. It's when I have time and am in the mood, which isn't horribly often. I feel like I really sit down once every few weeks. I mean, we're all different in our learning and growth, to an extent, but how many hours do people who feel they are really getting somewhere, or maybe even selling shit well, put in each week?

I don't know.. let's define what progression is before we start applying rates to it. What is 'better music'?
Dabbling isn't gonna get you anywhere because you're gonna have to compete with dudes like me and my friends who don't dabble... we live and breathe this music and have done so since we were able to sneak into clubs and parties.
It's not a matter of hours put in, spent doing this or that.. It's not quantifiable like that.

And I'm still a nobody (musically, lol)... but everybody I met that is somebody in any kind of music is like that too, or worse! (much.. much worse, haha)
Most of them also work very hard for not a whole lot of money, they could earn way more by applying their skills in other fields, but they don't.
You're gonna have to be one mighty fine dabbler with a giant natural talent to outdo that level of passion, commitment and outright madness ;)

Use the metronome. I used to overthink my drum patterns until I started playing them in live with the metronome. I believe just playing to the metronome increased my rhythm, and that itself will help you more interesting drum patterns.

Start with the standard dance or rock ostinato, then add a rim to the pattern. Next, make it a bit more complex with the toms. Lastly, consider using displacement drumming method. You gonna get interesting drum patterns in just 123! :victory:

Back