Drum patterns

MFJON

Hey everyone, I'm starting to get in to producing music and am currently working with FL Studio/Maschine. I was wondering how do you guys come up with drum patterns in your music? I am mainly producing hip-hop music right now, but I am open to hearing your process for any other types of genres. Are you guys like studying other producers/musicians from the same genre or...? Any help would be great! Thanks guys!

Oh ALSO!

I have a question on 808s, is there a link or video that can help me learn how to make/tune my 808s? Or how would I go about that? Sorry if this is not the place to put this, I am still freshly new to the forums so I am still learning! :cool:

My process for coming up with drum patterns is a mixture of a few things and not always the same. When I begin with the drums it's usually a beat that I hear in my mind. These are of course influenced by the music I listen to and have listened to in the past. Sometimes I emulate or model certain aspects of a song I like, like a hihat pattern or bass drum pattern. But I always aim make them my own instead of just copying them.
The drum patterns can also change in the production process to make them fit to the rest of the arrangement.

When I start with a sample, I let myself get inspired by the sample and come up with a drum pattern that fits the sample. I let the sample be the dictator of the drums:-)

Oh...and I listen to all kinds of music and like to incorporate elements of other musical styles.

For the main pattern, I always stick a kick on 1 and a snare/clap on 2 and 4, otherwise it tends to sound a bit weird.

The rest is completely free, anything can go anywhere.
Actually I mostly avoid putting snares on the beat apart from 2 and 4 for some reason, not sure why. Sometimes I do put snares on the beat, but not very often.

Last edited:
Back