Drum fill placement on old kanye track

HalfBlacko0000

Good Music
awhile back ago i asked about how to get swing to my drums and fills so i started trying to recreate breaks slowing them down and seeing what makes them tick i'm real interested in kanye west - run away i like how it almost seems like there is always something hitting as far as the drums go and i love the busy feel they have another thing i noticed is there filtered i'm not having as much problems with the sample as i am with the sample placement everything seems so random but i'm sure its only a 8 bar loop. is it a Break from another song or did he program it himself i really wanna learn to make my drums have this fill effect could someone help me out with the placement i've tried slowing the track down but it gets really muffled and i can't make out where the hits go so i need someone with a better ear then me to give it a shot here is the instrumental >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDh_IpDtARQ . thank you guys i'm not trying to copy anyone i just like to know how stuff is put together so i can add my own flip to things

There are a lot of rumours about where the drum track on Runaway comes from. One is that Kanye sampled it from a Backyard Heavies joint called Expo '83. Another is that he had Pete Rock come in and put the drum track together.
The truth is that Kanye sampled that drum loop from a Pete Rock & CL Smooth track on Mecca and The Soul Brother (I'll let you do the listening through that album to make it worthwhile).
The whole track is pretty much on an 8 bar loop but the drums themselves are over 4 bars.
As for making your drums play out like that, I think it comes down to a few things; picking the right break, chopping your break well and staying away from the quantize function. I good idea is to quantize the bass drum on the first beat of the loop as an anchor, then turn the quantize off and create the rest of the beat by feel. After you're satisfied with it, the quantized bass drum might sound a bit out, so just hit the step edit (if you're on an MPC) and shift it around a bit until it sounds right.

I hope this helps.

Yea this is a tuff one to recreate no matter where I put the hits on maschine it doesnt even come close to that rolling feeling that beat has oh well I guess some stuff just isnt made to be recreated from the ground up thank you though your reply way very helpful

MPC 55% swing from the sounds of it it is very straight with just a little loose shufflling going on

the pattern itself is as follows (best I can hear at home)

Beat1e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u2e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u
HatsXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
SnareXXXXXX
KickXXXXXXX
Beat3e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u4e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u
hatsXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
SnareXXXXXXX
KickXXXXXXX
Beat5e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u6e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u
hatsXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
SnareXXXXXXX
KickXXXXXXX
Beat7e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u8e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u
hatsXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
SnareXXXXXXX
KickXXXXXXX

It also has a lot to do with the accents being played on the hats. I reckon if you can get the hats right, you'll get the rest right. Maybe try chopping up the Expo '83 original break to see if you can get some of that feel. I'm sure that's what PR would have done to create his beat

Last edited:
the accenting is on 1 and 3 of each bar with some loosening of the offbeat hats on 2 and 4 (they're not fully open but they are allowed to open slightly and closed again so it sounds much more like a real drummer than a machine to me)

thats exactly what I needed it aint perfect what I got down but a whole new world of drums just opened up to me there is so much I need to learn still im trying to find someone in my town that owns a set of drums and can play ive never seen someone play drums like in front of me I think id have a much better understanding of how drums are put together

I'm hearing parts that are off timed because the sample used wasn't accurately lined up. Probably done on purpose to put everything offset, but that is absolutely a sample. An off set one at that. I can hear the "click" of the end of the loop not lining up fluently. Coulda been played live and sampled, coulda been made of a drum machine and resampled, but that's a sample loop that isn't lining up completely right.

In no way am I saying that it's "wrong" it being offset gave it it's "swing", but for similar results, just timestretch a drumloop to fit your composition, turn off your grid/quantize and offset the stretch timing by a slight bit, turn you grid back on and copy/paste the offset drums throughout your song...or, autoslice and move a few clips slightly.

If you want that EXACT pattern, you're gonna need that EXACT loop.

Last edited:
I can come up with a awsome drum fill through out the whole beat as long as there 16th notes but when I get into the 32 nd and 64th notes it doesnt sound right like the placement unless its in a rapid sucssession i know the notes you write in before hand but when I start laying out 32nd notes in a roll it sounds off so I move them but for them to sound good they end up back on 16th notes and dont even get me started on 18th-t 16-t I wanna be able to use these in my drums

Back