drum delay?

sansansan

i want to make my drums like this:

what can i do to achieve that kind of delay? thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear the opposite. No reverb/delay on the snare & shaker, little bit reverb on the bell. Maybe little bit reverb with very short decay.
The drums are so in front on the mix because they have mainly ''dry'' signal. The instruments contain reverb & delay, so they are sitting on the background.

Thats your choice of how you quantise your drums/instruments. I hear the kick hit a tiny bit later, so it gives a kind of laid back feeling to it.
The snare is on the grid and the shaker deff got a swing to it. I always experiment with the swing of my drums to give it a natural feeling.

But its always difficult, because you dont want to sound it off. So just experiment and find your best formula.

I saw bandcoach post a nice piece about swing and quantisation, dunno which post that was exactly.

Here an example: check out their snares, some are on the grid some are way off. It gives a nice vibe to it, but one snare is in my opinion misplaced, it disturbs the flow of the song. Its the snare that hits on 00:58.

Hope this helped you out. Goodluck

Last edited:
step 1) learn how to play out of time - partially a joke but there has been little quantising either iterative or onto the grid applied to this and so most of the effect is from playing out of time
step 2) learn how to recognise offbeat hits and place them

hats are pretty straight
snare is generally 2 and 4
kick is using 16th and 32nd accents before and after 2 and 4 to make it more funky - some of it is in time some of it is out of time

ps

there is no swing in this one, although sometimes the 32nds sound more like 16th triplets but that is just poor playing going unquantised

Last edited:
Back