Dre's Bass

Makaveli777

Anyone know any patches for reason out there to get that Dre bass? Think forgot about dre or any of the other songs from 2001. In that era.

Last edited:
i know mike elizondo did the bass i actually knew that ahead of time im basically looking for good refills that i can tweak to get that sound.
i checked out reason electric bass but i dont have any money at this point, do u know any free refills i should check out?

@quike thank you for a very generic and unhelpful response. @Makaveli777 unfortunately I don't know of any decent freebies (not saying they aren't out there) but I am not a big Reason user. You can use the stock plugins (which from my understanding are quite good as they are) or you can invest in extras. Your only solution is to bootleg them if you don't want to pay for money, some people have different viewpoints on this and on these forums it is frowned upon. Good luck :).

thanks deanlofts. i got a second question, when dealing with bass i realize its a good idea to roll off the low sub frequencys to get rid of that 'low rumble sound" so how low should i roll off?

I usually cut up to 20hz at least, not a huge deal when using sampled bass instruments as most of the most intrusive freqs have already been dealt with. I do mine out of habit and a lot of people will say that it is wrong to do (I know it is but still do it).

Dr.Dre have a very talented bass player Mike Elizondo, the good simulate of electric bass is in the MOTIF XS

another question
i read about the bass legends refill in another thread, is it free and if so where can i find it?

Last edited:
I doubt it is free and we can't help you find it for free here. A couple of searches and you should be able to find it pretty quickly though.

I checked propellerheads website its not in the freebies and its also not for sale. I looked all over google and couldnt find it. So idk, if any one has it hit me up a pm and tell me where you got it from cuz im still looking.

for a guitar like bass use a square/pulse wave, pull back the cutoff about 3/4 of the way with a 24db lowpass filter then adjust the pulsewidth and give it some slight distortion to bring out the tone.

And Mak, if you're using Cubase I recommend going into their mini halion stock plugin and using the "bass with a bite" patch. It's a slightly "tube warmed" finger bass patch. I cut some freqs around the 150-300 hz and got a good sound. As Deanlofts said, the freqs below 20-25 hz has been cut off but I took some more off of the range I mentioned just to give it more of a "deeper richer" sound; but it's all up to taste, keep the patch as is and you got an excellent electric bass. Learn to utilize that pitch bend, i've made some pretty convincing bass lines with sweeps, bends and all that.

Back