Dr. Dre / Rihanna string (yeah I wrote)

S

Straight

hi folks

I'm looking for a certain string sound..

It's in Rihanna's Unfaithful and for me it is VERY similar to Forgot About Dre's strings

maybe I'm wrong

what's this string?

thanks

Hard to tell whatever is use unless you are on the inside.
It would be guessing really

breal said:
Hard to tell whatever is use unless you are on the inside.
It would be guessing really

no doubt, but I hope someone knows the answer

my ears is not experienced enough to tell what it is

Prolly a softsynth ,like symphonic orchestra by East West but you really never know for sure cuz some people program sounds ,they layer different things.

The strings of forgot about dre were real acoustic strings, not from a keyboard and it is probably the same in rihana song.
You should check any orchestral VSL libraries (Vienna) but I doubt you can have the same result.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beleive they're real strings in both(100% sure with forgot about Dre, and Rihanna's track sounds like it was done live ballad style(ex. Celine Dion, old school Mariah/Whitney ballads). Any good string sample library can duplicate them. They're not very articulate in either piece. The trick is properly overlaying them with other instruments to give them depth.

I'd recommend Eastwest Symphonic Orchestra series www.soundsonline.com

Garritan Personal Orchestra www.Garritan.com

Miroslav Philharmonik(vst or Refill for reason) www.IKmultimedia.com

And if you got real money to invest, the VSL Horizon Series. But unless you plan on making really articulate live orchestra pieces, save the money and hard drive space and go with Garritan or EW Symphonic Orch Silver XP Pro.

dabeatdoctor1989 said:
Prolly a softsynth ,like symphonic orchestra by East West but you really never know for sure cuz some people program sounds ,they layer different things.
very doubtful seeing as the dr dre songs is older than the vst in question. I believe it is and now that I think about it so is the Motif series. A triton or trinity string perhaps? in 99 the Triton was big

The only reason I know "forgot about Dre" is real strings is that it was discussed in an interview he did and I was dissapointed that he payed someone to play strings you could've emulated on a keyboard easily. If not for that, I'd swear they came from a triton.

guys I did research and this is CHELLO

so give me some tips where I can find chellos like this.

My chellos are nice but don't sound like those.

"Forgot about Dre" is more than Cello. It's String Section, i'd have to hear it again to tell you which instruments, but pretty sure it's a string trio or quartet.

As said before, Eastwest Symphonic Orchestra, Giga Studio, or VSL Orchestra can easily duplicate the sound. Even lower grade symphony samplers like Garritan Personal Orchestra or Miroslav can give you a good emulation.

Just thinking about Dre, or any other person with studio musicians coming in for your project. As far as him pulling in the string players, I bet (I don't know for sure, but I would throw down behind this) he had them on other songs, too. If you book them for union minimums on scale and hours, you get your money's worth by being a PRODUCER and scheduling several song string parts for your project to be tracked.

I guess my point is that he used them because they were already there.

Last edited:
Back