Don't suppose this is a specific kind of epiano

crimsonhawk47

Or at least I assume that's an epiano.

EDIT: In fact, as long as I'm showing this artist, I have a few more sound design questions.

How the hell does someone record a kick like this. It comes in at about 1:15. The only Idea I had would be to use only the room noise. It feels like the entire middle is gone and there isn't a lot of attack, but it's got this bounce to it I can't describe. It's like an empty, bouncy kick.

Then on cavalier again, there's a really cool guitar sound that comes in. It's a lot easier to hear what I'm talking about at 3:20 (it's on the right). I don't know what kind of amp setting you would have for that, but if anybody knows I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
so it sounds like a regular rhodes sound with little vibrato or reverb applied, doubled with a sine organ to allow for the swells we can hear

can't answer any questions about the second track as it is not available to view in Australia - can't even find any that equate to what your asking about - all I get are small acoustic orchestral bass drums coming in at that point with nothing big about them

the guitar bit: so its a simple setting bass- 3 - mids- 6 - highs- 4, les paul type of guitar, neck pickup only, tone control rolled back to about halfway, slow arpeggio of the held chord

Hmm. Don't suppose this one works.

For the guitar, what do you mean by tone control? It sounds like that's a very specific, universal knob, because otherwise I would assume you're talking about a filter of some sort.

Also, by slow arpeggio on the chord, do you mean after he strums it he replays the notes in an arpeggio pattern until the next chord?

Last edited by a moderator:
tone control on a guitar if not active is a specific treble cut, so a low pass filter - it is universally referred to as a tone control with some guitar manufacturers going so far as to label the knob "T"

the specifics of the circuit can be found by searching brand name/model name and tone control circuit - essentially they are all a variable resistor and capacitor wired in an L combination

I actually got to see that video and it is as I described above an orchestral bass drum nothing big about it

I wasn't saying it was big, but it feels like it surrounds you. And it's not a bass drum delayed left and right either, it's bizarre. I've never heard anything like it before.

orchestral bass drums can be like that especially if they are played undamped - a 4' bass drum with a low tuned skin will seem to rumble forever if the skin is not damped off with a hand - soft mallet should do the trick to get the right balance of hit and rumble, add some reverb to the track and it really does just go on forever

would be the best way but the kontakt orchestral bass drum should be sufficient as long as you don't hit it hard; use a long duration to have the note rumble on or read the manual to see what NI suggests for those longer naturally decaying sounds

Back