Does the melody have to follow the chord progression and basslines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanleySteamer

Hey guys as the title says I am curious to know if I make a melody and use the same keys over and over again can I make a chord progression and bassline that carries and changes while keeping the melody exactly the same? So basically the melody not following the chords.

Typically you'll want so keep things in key with the rest of your instruments. This will generally produce the best sound. I.e, using the same notes that appear in the scale you're using. It is possible to go outside the scale but is kind of confusing if you're not sure how to do so.

I'm not sure that I understand your question, and yes, you should be "in key," as that is why certain rules exist-- they reflect what works and what most people (at least from a Western music perspective, over many centuries now) like to hear and think sounds "right."

That said, if you mean once you have a melody and chord changes in a certain key, can you then write new chord changes/progressions in that key that fit with the melody (but are different/adjunct to the original progression)? The answer is a resounding "yes;" this is called re-harmonization, or in hip musician parlance writing a "reharm." Due to relative major and minor chords within keys, parallel keys, chord extensions and substitutions, there are often multiple sets of chords that can work with a given melody. One fun thing to do (often the domain of jazz musicians, but that shouldn't stop you from giving it a go) is to take a well-known popular song or standard and reharm the underlying chord changes. This can teach you a lot about composition, and is also cool and fun, as previously stated.

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm not saying about outside of the key or scale. But lets say my chord progression is Fm, C#, Cm, D# going 1 bar per chord and I want to write a melody to go along with that. Does my melody need to follow and change with every chord? For example I am writing a melody on bar one starting on F just like my chord and then bar 2 comes should my finger switch to C# or something in that chord? Or can I have a repeating melody or something over and over within the same key and scale I am already working with just it doesnt follow and change up with every changing chord in my progression.

For example, in this song I have always noticed some sort of lead or change in bass/chord progression but the melody/lead completely stays the same the whole time. Link to song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ISn-ki81EI

There are different ways of approaching composition, but no, you really only have to stay in _key_. If there is a particular clash between a chord change and a melody not, you can deal with that then (changing the note, changing the rhythm so it is only a brief passing tone, etc.).
But the "rule" is in-key, not "per chord," or every song would have to have the chord's root as its melody note as well.

There are different ways of approaching composition, but no, you really only have to stay in _key_. If there is a particular clash between a chord change and a melody not, you can deal with that then (changing the note, changing the rhythm so it is only a brief passing tone, etc.).
But the "rule" is in-key, not "per chord," or every song would have to have the chord's root as its melody note as well.

Hey thanks I really appreciate the response alot! So basically what you are saying is that I can write a melody with some notes constantly repeating looping for like 1 bar or so and then I can play chord progressions and basslines that are still in key with the song and what not but that will actually move and have it's own progression while the melody sits on the same key it started on playing the same exact notes throughout without changing?

Do you like the way it sounds?

--------------------------------------
PS-- It sounds like you are describing what we call an ostinato. An ostinato is more like a phrase or a "piece" of melody, repeated in a short rhythmic pattern that often creates a cross rhythm or poly-rhythm to the main beat. Or, you could be describing sequencing, which is a short melodic phrase (like an ostinato) that actually modulates (changes notes, but follows the same pattern) along with the chord changes.

Ostinato (which can also be called a riff) example-- the "chord melody" part to Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water"

Sequencing example-- Cold play's "Clocks" piano part; the melody to the old song "Whistle a Happy Tune"

Last edited:
Melody typically will stay within the key and emphasize whatever chord progression follows it.
The melody should stand alone as one of the core structures of the music.
Rhythm - Melody - Harmony, and I believe in that order.

But music is what you make it. The theory will only give you tools, but it is up to your knowledge and ear to make your own creative choices. Remember, the Music came first, the Theory was just a way to explain it.

-AMinc.

Great responses guys thanks alot! So a series of the same notes repeating over and over through out is called a riff? And a melody is a series of notes that repeat and follow the chord progression? Any videos or articles or something I could read to really know this stuff? Thanks alot!

Google is an awesome resource, as are the "stickies" here at FP (that have been getting a wonderful reorganization make-over by our very own scrapheaper).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back