Does anyone know how to make this SIDNEY CHARLES TECH HOUSE sound?

RobbFallon

Been looking everywhere on how to make this sound but no luck hopefully someone here will know :)

The sound is like a stab synth that is played throughout most of the track, from 2.00 onwards its most heard.

It is also common in a lot other tech tracks so if anyone could share there knowledge on how to do it id be most grateful.

2.00min onwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnhvQjNsOaU

if it is the sound that comes in at ca. 1:00 and then again ca. 2:15 then that is not a stab nor a synth but jingle bells (sleigh bells to be precise) plenty of samples out there to get downward and upward shakes on these standard orchestral percussion instruments

good luck

I'll take a guess... detuned square waves, lowpass, 100% wet reverb, render and then chop off the main portion of the sound so only the reverb is left. Load into a sampler and loop.

not what im meaning mate. meaning the rougher darker sound like if you were to blow on top on a bottle ha

so end blown bottle or end-blown flute

standard subtractive synth patch for single oscillator

start with a triangle wave
adsr on vca is 2-2-6-3
adsr on filter is 1-6-6-3 cut-off is about 6, resonance about 4

add some noise on the start to make the chuff sound

tweak to taste

or use a shakuhachi patch without vibrato

enjoy

I'm thinking of a simple sinewave with some vibrato, then just strike a dissonant note combination.

Last edited:
Is it the one that pans? I made it using white noise with a keytracked resonant lowpass, play notes 1 octave apart and automate the cutoff a tiny bit.

Lots of different theories here :D

You probably don't use Reason but sure (not at my comp at the mo) there's a bottle sound in the Malstrom that is very similar to what you want. It is then further maniuplatable to acquire exactly what you're after.

the cow bell was the closest sound but the sound thats right it to much in the back of the reverb and i dont know how to bring that sound forward to sound like the track

1) drop the reverb level or better still
2) send the cowbell to the reverb rather than apply an insert reverb (gives you better control)
3) adjust the return level of the send reverb to taste - the main channel does not get buried and you can still control how much reverb is heard

After listning back to the track I can hear where the 808 cow bell is being used and that wasn't the sound I was meaning haha (sorry for the confusion) heres another track by sidney that use's a very similar sound but in more of a melodic way at the end of every 2nd bar from 1min11 onwards

Last edited:
I got what you mean now.
Tech house was always about sampling really short grooves and looping them, it's hard to make what's going on there with such narrow bandpass eq.
But it's definitely a sample, in the 2nd example it's even more clear, there's a live bass playing and other instruments are bleeding through creating that "blowing" effect you're after.
Just try sampling old disco records and filter everything above and below around 200Hz, find a sweet spot yourself.

Last edited:
Back