Does anyone else do this???

Ashleighkaye

i have a habit of doing this. whenever i'm arranging/composing a new track, i randomly listen to each and every preset in whatever soft synth i'm using at the time. i know it's not very productive, and a lot of the time, i end up creating a pile of 'this sounds good but not in this track' loops that are orphans because they're not done and i don't ever go back to them. would this fall under bad workflow? i have no idea what the sound in my head is, but i race to my PC to find the right sound. if i end up not finding it, i also have the habit of scrapping songs.

We all scrap tracks and whole songs at times.. Instead of digging for the sound that's in your head, try finding sounds that inspire you... Once you have that first track find other sounds that compliment it.. recreating whats in your head is great approach for many people but if you just end up wasting time maybe you should trying other ideas until you find what works best for you.. When you find sounds that you like but doesn't fit the song you're working on just make note of it for later or add it to a favorites list if thats an option.

Well, you post about this here and ask for help, and hence it should be considered a problem of yours. So yeah then it may be bad workflow.
Nothing wrong with browsing through different presets workflow-wise to find the right one for your track, but you can change a lot how you do it and become more efficient at it.

Like shelyksit says, all producers have an issue with this. What I usually do is to save the presets I really like (but don't fit the song) to a personal folder OR I make a new motif or intro or chorus or short riff with the sound preset I found.

This is actually a minor problem. It is good getting to know your library, but I think it is more essential to get to experiment and understand how those presets in those libraries came to be made in the first place. If you can understand how those presets are made, then you would have a better understanding of how those presets fit certain songs or certain atmospheres you want to create. That is why it is important to learn how your synth works and trying to emulate and create sound design from a synth.

yeah this happens to me sometimes. typically i try to start with a piano almost every time, and then i record in the melody or harmony, and then i mess around with patches to fit the pattern. sometimes i start with "patch-surfing", because the sound of the patch can affect your pattern. when my time is tight tho i have my go to plug-ins and patches that i use. i try to keep some go-to "money" patches on reserve for those moments. also, sometimes your patch exploration can yield rewards...especially if you program your own stuff at all.

Back