Does anybody here know about rock?

N

Nyckyp603

me and my friend are going to be starting a band together

i have only made hip hop beats and rapped so i dont know how this is gonna work

i rap and he plays guitar but we dont have a drummer which means i COULD do the drums in FL

Any opinions on how this could work

hm. there really isnt anything wrong with programming drums for rock music.

but real drums are very.

very

very

very hard to fake.

do you have any drumming experience? dynamics are everything. program the drums like a drummer, not like a beatmaker.

maybe its best to do your own hiphop thing and don't even try to emulate the sounds of real drums.

it might even be better to do your own thing and don't even try to make your drums sound real, as it might sound better in the end.

good luck man.

I recommend getting Reason and the Reason Drums Refill. They are sampled drum kits recorded with professional studio equip and different velocities wit different mics etc etc.........If you know how to use them you can make very realistic sounding drum kits.

However If you dont want to spend the money getting that software, look for the Soundfont called Gold Drums, it can be found at this site:

http://www.hammersound.net/cgi-bin/soundlink.pl

Its a studio sampled drum kit and I've used it in the past when I used to use FL Studio (because FL studio has a Soundfont player). It's quite realistic, however you must program it in the piano roll view, because it is set out like a normal instrument. From memory, the notes corresponding to the different drums are:

C3 - Kick
Eb3 and E3 - Snares
F#3 - hihat

and you can figure out the rest :-)

Hope this helps.

Salvia.

I lead worship and use fl for my percusion and drums. This is what I do. I use a presonus firebox and have outputs 1 and 2 as the instrument outs. I have 3 as a click track for the band. I open up the drums and usually have prerecorded loops of a) myself playing the drums or b) a sample froma cd or record. I hardly ever program a full loop from straight sounds myself. SOmetimes I'll add to loops to make it fuller or whatever but I use soundfonts alot so definately check that out. Also use real drum samples if you want it to sound more realistic.

I agree with the difficulty of programming drums to sound real...that's a big part of rock music live drums...However, I know there are bands out there who use programmed drums and it works....

I think you will be ok as long as the drum track bangs and the rest fits nicely with it...

You could use FL, but a machine like an MPC or something that you can use live and alter the patterns on the fly might be better (you'd have to get someone to take care of that during performances, though)

Don't know if you're familiar with Gel and folk like that, but check youtube for GEl...you can get an idea of how it SHOULD be done...joking, kinda

Get a drummer. A living, breathing drummer. It will translate MUCH better live, especially if you are trying to start a ROCK band.

i kinda like when rock groups have programmed/electronic drums, but not all the time,.. you should look for a drummer tho, unless you want that feel for all the songs

just browsing through my itunes,, i found these songs that have some programmed drums,.. "wow, i can get sexual too", "baby girl, I'm a blur", and "no soul" by say anything, "ice monster" (the intro) by minus the bear, "echelon" by 30 seconds to mars

Tide said:
Get a drummer. A living, breathing drummer. It will translate MUCH better live, especially if you are trying to start a ROCK band.

quoted for truth. playing in a proper band isn't anything like banging out sampled snares on an mpc.

Back