do you want to instantly become better at making music?

Thats easy to say. But there is so much to learn I get overwhelmed and confused where to start and what exercises I can do to improve.

Do you know any exercises or tips to use? How did you learn?

Theory would be part of it, and you'll learn something new everday. I've been messing with beats for 5 years and I still suck. Lol. Nothing is up to par for me. Ear training is definetly number one. If you're doing this just to make beats then I suggest learning layering, it will take you very far. Layering will also help you train your ears, and as far as layering goes, EQ the hell out of stuff because it makes things sound so much better.

For the beginning producer it's going to get very frustrating but when you get to the point where you actually learn things, it's awesome.

Theory would be part of it, and you'll learn something new everday. I've been messing with beats for 5 years and I still suck. Lol. Nothing is up to par for me. Ear training is definetly number one. If you're doing this just to make beats then I suggest learning layering, it will take you very far. Layering will also help you train your ears, and as far as layering goes, EQ the hell out of stuff because it makes things sound so much better.

For the beginning producer it's going to get very frustrating but when you get to the point where you actually learn things, it's awesome.

What exercises do you do to train your ears?

As for the rest, start with a scale/mode type.

Learn the intervals within the scale/mode
Learn the intervals between any pair of notes within the scale/mode both ascending and descending
Learn how to construct the chords for that scale/mode

For the major scale:

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C -> M2-M2-m2-M2-M2-M2-m2 -> T-T-S-T-T-T-S

Ascending intervals
NoteCDEFGABCDEFGAB
CUnisonM2M3P4P5M6M7P8------
D-UnisonM2m3P4P5M6m7P8-----
E--Unisonm2m3P4P5m6m7P8----
F---UnisonM2M3A4P5M6M7P8---
G----UnisonM2M3P4P5M6m7P8--
A-----UnisonM2m3P4P5m6m7P8-
B------Unisonm2m3P4d5m6m7P8

Descending intervals
NoteCDEFGABCDEFGAB
CP8m7m6P5P4m3m2Unison------
D-P8m7M6P5P4m3M2Unison-----
E--P8M7M6P5P4M3M2Unison----
F---P8m7m6d5P4m3m2Unison---
G----P8m7m6P5P4m3M2Unison--
A-----P8m7m6P5P4M3M2Unison-
B------P8M7M6P5A4M3M2Unison

Learn about voice leading (many rules, but once learnt hard to forget)

Im no where NEAR BC's level, but shit i just watch youtube videos and try to decipher his posts lmao. I had a theory book I glanced at, look stuff up on google etc. It would be a lot easier if you could get a teacher to just teach you the shit, but I dont have money for that right now so im forced to learn what i can on my own. I had came across a jermaine grigs course that was really good. I have some notes on the basic, @MizzHits I can send you those if you like, thats a good place to start. As bandcoach said you wanna learn your scales first.

Another thing with theory is that they use big ass words and diff words for all kinds of stuff, which sucks at first but its like algebra. YOU HAVE TO LEARN THE BASICS so you can understand the more advanced. Of course youre not gonna learn this stuff in a day or even a lifetime, but the sooner you stop resisting and looking at it as hard or difficult the sooner your music will improve. I guarantee that.

Its like a snowball effect.....at first its big and confusing and complicated then you realize how simple music really is. it almost takes the fun out of it cause its like....ok chords....run the scale...put some drums add some bass lmao. Just makes it a lot easier and lets you REALLY get creative with your sound selection and what not.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

and shit even if you dont master a whole concept, some video or article might show you one little thing that inspires a whole beat. Obviously you cant just sit down one day and "learn theory".....but you can start

Last edited:
Some words that will crop up early on

WordConcept/meaning
TonicNote number 1 in the scale/mode or Chord I/i
Super-tonicNote number 2 in the scale/mode or Chord II/ii, the note a step above the tonic
MediantNote number 3 in the scale/mode or Chord III/iii, the note half-way between the tonic and the dominant
Sub-DominantNote number 4 in the scale/mode or Chord IV/iv, the note 5 notes below the tonic
DominantNote number 5 in the scale/mode or Chord V/v, the note 5 notes above the tonic
Sub-MediantNote number 6 in the scale/mode or Chord VI/vi, the note half way between the tonic and the sub-dominant on the way down
Leading toneNote number 1 in the scale/mode or Chord VII/vii, the note immediately below the tonic

Sub means under/below, so we are naming the concepts as under-dominant and under-mediant or Dominant below and Mediant below the tonic....

to get the hang of mediant, think median (middle) and you are there

If we arrange the notes of the scale of C major from F through G we begin to understand some of the concepts even better:

FGABCDEFG
Sub-DominantSub-MediantLeading ToneTonicSuper TonicMediantDominant

Half step = the direct next note on the keyboard, example: C to C#

whole step = two half steps or C to D

Minor third = 3 half steps

Major third = 4 half steps

Half step distances in scales:

2,2,1,2,2,2,1: Major Scales
2,1,2,2,1,2,2: Minor scales

I find this a handy formula for those of us who dont use a keyboard or play an instrument and draw notes in

Major scale form is T-T-S-T-T-T-S

Natural minor scale form is T-S-T-T-S-T-T

Harmonic minor scale form is T-S-T-T-S-T[sup][sup]1[/sup]/[sub]2[/sub][/sup]-S

Ascending Melodic Minor scale form is T-S-T-T-T-T-S

T=2
S=1

I know everything up to intervals from then on I'm lost. It's not that I'm too lazy, it's that I really don't care. I'm not scoring a big band composition or a jazz trio. I'm flipping samples and creating hip hop instrumentals. Shoot, I don't even know what chords I'm playing or what key I'm in...

I do what sounds good.

I know everything up to intervals from then on I'm lost. It's not that I'm too lazy, it's that I really don't care. I'm not scoring a big band composition or a jazz trio. I'm flipping samples and creating hip hop instrumentals. Shoot, I don't even know what chords I'm playing or what key I'm in...

I do what sounds good.

Thats pretty much how I operate too, but it really does help to learn some stuff. It just opens more doors. And I dont wanna just be like...a beatmaker forever. I mean thats what I enjoy most but shit I wanna be better than all the producers in the rap game today and learning a little theory seems to be one way to get there. Plus it really helped my chord game, which was my main concern. I can pick a scale out and run it all day, but i used to have hella trouble doing the chords. Could hear em in my head but not find em, so some of these things really help like these formulas I found.

I still have to go on bandcoaches site and see what I can get from there too. You prolly cake it off lessons huh BC? If you were in my town (or even my country lol) I know id like to get some one on one time with ya haha

Last edited:
youtube.com/watch?v=UzFc2uKVX_I&feature=plcp checkout this video, it may help you a lot, you have all the musical scales in there, with them you can create some nice harmonies.

If you want to read something pretty good and advanced I suggest reading "Music theory for computer musicians" by Michael Hewitt

Back