Do you think producers who use loops are lazy?

odinnshred

Wireless Wizard!
I hate seeing tutorials where producers say stuff like "now we'll load this drum loop we got from primeloops". Do you think that producers should be encouraging others to use loops, rather than create and sample sounds by themselves? Does it matter either way if the end result is decent?

Discuss!

I hate seeing tutorials where producers say stuff like "now we'll load this drum loop we got from primeloops". Do you think that producers should be encouraging others to use loops, rather than create and sample sounds by themselves? Does it matter either way if the end result is decent?

Discuss!

What a meaningless discussion-baiting thread. Does that make you lazy for not coming up with something new and worthwhile to talk about?

What a meaningless discussion-baiting thread. Does that make you lazy for not coming up with something new and worthwhile to talk about?

I find it worthwhile to talk about and I'm curious of other people's opinions, that's why I asked it. If you don't like it you don't have to participate. A thread on a forum isn't a production that uses loops, so it's pretty stupid to compare the two.

no. i look down upon those who use other peoples loops. make your own, yall unoriginal.

No, I use loops a lot. It's all about what sounds good and what works for the music.
I'd rather use some loops and put out 30 songs a year rather than trying to create every little element and being less productive.

Just my opinion, but I use some loops here and there, maybe 1 every song.

- Vinny

It depends on the person. If you are good at making your own loops, make your own loops. If you are bad at it, use other peoples. A lot of people make money simply off making samples for other people to purchase.

No. I think producers who finish songs are awesome. Doesn't matter what they used to make it. All I care about is whether the song sounds good or bad.

It depends how it was used but if your dragging and dropping loops and saying you produced a song i dont really agree. Id say you organized some loops that happened to fit together lol I look down on it but if it works it works

I dont like when somebody creates a whole beat using just loops but using a percussion loop or drum loop to enhance what your making is fine with me.

Obi is spot on, who cares how it is made as long as the song sounds good. I bet you have heard many successful mainstream songs using drum loops before, do people care? No.

I dont look down on looping. I look down on beatmakers(and I use that term staunchly) who make the same beat over and over again with the same steps.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it so long as you also know what you're doing.

Basically IMO a producer is defined by how well he can overcome things and translate his vision.

At some point he has to exercise his creativity, which you can't really do too much with loops.

If you can fix problems in a song, add parts that you want, etc. even if it's by your hands or hell even paying somebody who knows how to, that makes you a producer.

But if you're slapping a bunch of loops on top of each other hoping that shit sticks to the wall, I personally can't respect that.

3ternal, this response made a great deal of sense, I especially liked "Basically IMO a producer is defined by how well he can overcome things and translate his vision."

I mainly just don't like the idea of making music (or, if you like, creating art) using stuff supplied by other people. Sometimes when I make hip/trip-hop beats I use the J Dilla Kit, and although I didn't make the samples I treat them in a way that would arguably make them my original sounds. I guess that I'm using sounds I 'found' and creating my own things, and that's similar to recording myself hitting a bin with a hammer for example. I didn't manufacture the bin or the hammer, but I've made a significant effort to make the sounds I put in the DAW reflect the sounds in my head.

Earlier today I realised that a lot of this has to do with pride in ones work really. The more personal importance you give your projects the more uncomfortable you might feel using loops that have already been produced and perfected by other people, and it might feel like cheating. All I can say is there's nothing like producing an astonishingly good track from the ground up, having done everything by yourself. That's why I will always discourage the use of loops.

It's only humans in the first place that created loops, so other humans should be able to learn how to make similar things.

I dont really see that much of a problem with it as long as, like others stated, its not just loops thrown together. i use a basic drum loops as inspiration sometimes, i usually chop them up for the samples and rearrange them alot tho.

What are loops?

A proper loop will repeat autonomously at a rate based on it's length.

However it is quite common for people to refer to repetitiously sequenced one shot samples as loops because the end results are often indistinguishable to that of the most basic loop.

The main difference is that proper loops can be played creatively.

A proper loop will repeat autonomously at a rate based on it's length.

However it is quite common for people to refer to repetitiously sequenced one shot samples as loops because the end results are often indistinguishable to that of the most basic loop.

The main difference is that proper loops can be played creatively.

And that is where some producers who use loops get creative. You can chop a loop, slice it, gate it, filter it and re-arrange it to fit your song. You can use these steps to create a verse, chorus or bridge from 1 loop. Its all about how you use things to become interesting to the ear. Rihanna's "umbrella" was a loop from Garageband. Its all in how you use it..

It's like I said in my earlier post; if you treat a loop/some sounds in such a way that they become something profoundly different then there's no lie in saying that they are your sounds. When I started this thread I was mainly referring to when people just use sparse drums then put in loops over the top to fill it all out. Creative use of anything is creative, really, and creativity often brings good sounds. At least, I'd rather encourage creativity than encourage relying entirely on things perfected by other people.

No one but producers care about how a song is made. Producers try to scrutinize each other over the tools we use but at the end of the day, all that matters, and the only thing that people that will pay us are concerned with, is if we have hits or not and what our last hit was. LOL, a top selling single will shut a gang of niggaz up when they try to get picky and ask you what equipment you use. Cats STILL hate on FL Studio to this day but 99.9% of them won't try to sit up with 9th Wonder, Alex Da Kid, Hit-Boy or Swiff D and tell them that they need another program to make a good song

Last edited:
Back