Do you think producers who use loops are lazy?

IMO it's no different than a producer calling in a drummer, guitarist, keyboardist, or symphony to play over his song. Music is art, you can't regulate what HAS to be done in the creation of art.

IMO it's no different than a producer calling in a drummer, guitarist, keyboardist, or symphony to play over his song. Music is art, you can't regulate what HAS to be done in the creation of art.

I agree with this, but when calling in a drummer, guitarist, keyboardist or symphony orchestra 99 times out of 100 the producer would write/arrange what's being played. If not, then the track should be credited like "Blah blah blah song - Blah band, with Blah-drums and Blah-chestra)".

EDM producers using loops would credit their tracks "This track - This producer (feat. a better producer from primeloops who made the drum loops)".

I'm not trying to be a music fascist but I think credit should always be given where its due. A producer shouldn't be credited as the exclusive writer/composer if they're just arranging stuff made by other people. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much as a composer but this is just how I feel about this.

I agree with this, but when calling in a drummer, guitarist, keyboardist or symphony orchestra 99 times out of 100 the producer would write/arrange what's being played. If not, then the track should be credited like "Blah blah blah song - Blah band, with Blah-drums and Blah-chestra)".

EDM producers using loops would credit their tracks "This track - This producer (feat. a better producer from primeloops who made the drum loops)".

I'm not trying to be a music fascist but I think credit should always be given where its due. A producer shouldn't be credited as the exclusive writer/composer if they're just arranging stuff made by other people. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much as a composer but this is just how I feel about this.
I would agree with this if a producer and composer were the same thing. In reality a producer is really someone who makes sure it sounds right. So they are totally a producer in that vain. For some reason in mainstream modern culture producer has come to mean something totally different than it did say 30 years ago when a producers role was more clearly defined.

For some reason in mainstream modern culture producer has come to mean something totally different than it did say 30 years ago when a producers role was more clearly defined.

I think that if a producer was only focused on making it sound right (as many producers for bands etc do) then we'd probably end up with a lot more clean mixes. For example you have those teams of engineers that work on the trash David Guetta comes up with when he's not busy spending money. The production is ridiculously good because there are people who only focus on making it a good production. I feel like a music fascist again, but I just feel that production should be something creative. I've produced for other people before because my skills exceeded theirs, but I always feel that I want to be more creative and make it more of a collaborative effort. That's why I'm not too fond of producing for others.

(Thread's gone off topic, but its all good discussion anyway lol)

I think that producers that use loops want the best best sound and performance possible for their own music. Its not always possible to hire a session player for tracks, and even with a session player you still have to know how to capture the recording accurately. I think producers that use construction kits and just put them back together can be considered lazy though.

I think that producers that use loops want the best best sound and performance possible for their own music. Its not always possible to hire a session player for tracks, and even with a session player you still have to know how to capture the recording accurately. I think producers that use construction kits and just put them back together can be considered lazy though.

agreed... i mean its one thing to throw a shaker loop over your own kick/clap arrangement and another to use whole drum/synth loops verbatim...

but for the most part its rare for producers to use tons of loops and make a whole song out of them and even when they have sometimes the results are still something totally original... i remember once goofing around when i first got vengeance samples and literally threw a track together made completely out of samples in like 45 minutes... and it sounded awesome and original!!

So it just goes to show that its really the end result that matters...

Using loops aides in the creative process

Using loops aides in the creative process....If your into making music then whats the purpose of wasting time creating from scratch something that already exist with a high quality sound.

Since everyone is coming from a hip hop perspective it seems like, I'll just say that you should remember that there are several EDM genres built entirely upon the use of the amen break. Early hip hop was too tbh. Asking this question is like asking if sampling someone's song is uncreative. As long as you make something new out of it, then its wonderful.

it all depend on...

I find using loops because you are lazy is a bad thing to do ...
but I do find myself using loops usually drum loops when I am working with a client and don't want to waist his time=money, of course I can sit down and lay down a nice beat with supper original sound that I've just created by myself ...
but it would take probably 10-15 min at the best ... this time worth money for me and for my client , so inevitably you would like to save yourself this work at the session time , save time for you and money for the client , this will guarantee that this client will see that you appreciate his time and money , and you not only looking to make as much money on his "back" ....
but in a different scenario that I just playing around in my home studio and try to make something new , I would never use loops or construction kit material because this is new be , and not professional IMO of course :)
good discussion !

Its one thing to find an obscure drum loop and put it to use in creative ways, its another to just take loops of loop CDs and throw them onto other loops. If you are doing that you aren't really doing anything other than DJing. Something creative has to happen in order for something to be "your" piece of music. Taking unmodified loops from loops CDs is just pretending. Even if it sounds good, its not you that made it sound good, it is the people that made the loops that made it sound good. I am assuming you are all talking about using loops off loop CDs. The Hip Hop style of sampling loops off drum breaks is an art.

Obi is spot on, who cares how it is made as long as the song sounds good. I bet you have heard many successful mainstream songs using drum loops before, do people care? No.

I'm surprised people dont considering how many songs use the exact same drum loop

4 on the floor kicks
snare on every second kick

in every ****in song.

@ timfosho, this thread was about loops from sample packs. While its a skill to get the right loops cleanly from the right tracks and treat them properly, I feel its a lack of skill to purchase a sample pack and load drum loops onto the field. Hence 'Do you think producers who use loops are lazy?'

@ l3lackjax, this is a v good point. While I can't appreciate people using loops, its also true that people who sample and create their own good drum sounds rarely use them in a rhythmically creative way. I'll admit that in a lot of my house music the drop often consists of a simple kick on every beat, with the musical interest lying elsewhere (melodies, motifs, harmonies etc). While I make sure that there definitely IS musical interest going on, I can't really bring myself to include very complicated rhythms in the drums/percussion. I leave that for other genres really.

Loop it up if you have too. It's not that using loops is lazy. It's how the producer uses a loop? Some good music has been made with simple loops. Then again I'm always a person who believes in using every tool you have.

Back