Do you really need to know how to play the keys to make successful beats?

There are some people that just get music, and dont need formal lessons/music theory to be successful. For example, Jimi Hendrix didnt take guitar lessons, but was Jimi Hendrix. However, I think that if you have to ask, "am I talented enough to not need lessons/ theory," then you probably do, this goes for me as well. The music I was making before I learned basic theory (I.e. that scales are a thing, i was a total noob at first), is drastically worse than ever since I started learning theory. To that end, pretty much every musician I've talked to has said that they feel like learning an instrument helped them. For me, the combination of that and just that I find guitar and piano fun, were enough to make me want to start learning them.
Oh, and its awkward being with musician friends and being the only one that cant do anything because you dont have a computer with you, so thats part of it.
tl;dr: unless youre good enough to not need it, i'd recommend it. besides, its fun so just try it! :D

You don't have to know the keys but a little bit of basic knowledge will help you create basslines and find the right key for samples...

absoloutely must know the piano since its the only instrument that can emulate any sound. the piano is a must

reminds of a documentary with igor stravinsky sitting at the piano (upright) and saying eagerly as he plays a line "there is the violas can you not hear how lovely those violas sound", all the while all we can hear is the sound of the piano

I would also dispute your assertion as I can easily use a wind controller or a guitar controller to achieve the same outcomes, in some cases better outcomes, that I can with a keyboard controller

But, yes, knowing how to play an instrument that you can use as a controller for your daw is very useful and important

we have had several of these discussions in the last 4 years and I am certain we will have many more of them in the future

do \use the search to find similar threads

Do you need to have a sense of rhythm to play drums?

Spontaneously, no, but it sure as hell would make all the difference if you did.

It's really not necessary to be able to play any instrument. And in general, i'd like to say, knowing keys (as in notes, not the instrument) is a very helpful tool and resource to make life easier, but it isn't necessary. I for example actually only know like 5 scales, but it's enough - whenever i'm in a scale that i couldn't write down off the top of my head, i just see what melody i have so far, what intervalls it has got, and then go from there, assuming the rest of the notes that fit to it, thus having a full scale (still without knowing what key it actually is :)).

astonishing how many people are proud of their "ignorance"

the word keys does not mean notes it means the collection of notes with in specific crucial keys - i.e. the the notes that are locked in place for each key as variations from the C major scale (all white keys)

I would say no, I have no experience with piano/keyboard, however I have been learning chord progression and scales and I honestly can say it has increased my workflow 10fold, makes beatmaking faster for tons of different reasons.

This is so true, syris. I started off teaching myself a dozen instruments before moving into producing. I actually wanted to be a country/ acoustic artist before becoming an EDM artist HA!

Back