Do you know which scales these notes are in?

B

b_karv

Hey all I've just been snooping at some of Junior Jack's songs. And noticed for Stupid Disco & Thrill Me he plays only these notes:

C D Eb G A Bb

Does anyone know which scale this is in?

Thanks

yeah that's in b flat my friend...or g minor

every major chord has a relative minor...i.e the same set of notes just in a different order...just count three semi tones down to get the minor

there some good sites out there this one should help you out some

http://www.apassion4jazz.net/scales.html

Thanks mate..... Yeah I got mislead I guess as he starts on the C...Will also check site out :-)

yeah easily done, most tunes the key will be the root note of the first chord and bass note...though not in this case.

Cmin7 isn't a key. If those notes were to make a chord it would be Bb13. However, if you take the root, 3rd, 5th and 7th it would indeed make Cmin7.

If you want to be picky, it's the Ionian mode on C without the F (4th).

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Ionian just another name for a major scale? C Ionian wouldn't have any flats.

If it's in C it would be C dorian.

A dorian is just a minor scale, but with a major 6th.

Yeah Ionian is basically a major scale, and I'm getting confused. Must be the Stella. Yeah it's C Dorian! Haha, alcohol and modes don't mix well.

Thanks all for the help...

I'm finding now from bit of playing around if I pick a minor scale eg Fminor but then base my melody around a different note(eg four notes down the scale) I get that really nice housey\funky sound....Heaps of fun :-)

I just listened to a clip of Thrill Me and can confirm that it is in G minor. In dance music, listening to the bassline can generally help you out the most. I noticed the G was being played over and over again during one of the buildups, then proceeded on to outline a G minor chord.

In Stupidisco, I heard Ab, Bb, Db, and Eb, therefore it is in F minor.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Back