Do you guys tend to fill most of your octaves?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys this may sound a bit confusing but I am basically asking and wondering when is it too much or too little when composing? Typically I try to only use octave 1-4 on my maschine(on other software the same octaves are different numbers I know) and rarely do I ever use 5 or anything. But I was wondering if you guys ever find yourself only using 1 or 2 octaves plus the bass octave or do you try to fill up the beat as much as possible?

This is basically like asking "how many colours should I paint with?" - the answer is whatever works for the song and style. Sometimes sparse, sometimes less so.

Never deliberately, and not often accidentally, but sometimes.

Really empty works sometimes- look at martin garrix 'animals' drop or 'turn down for what' that only really have two octaves - lead and bass/kick

If it sounds right its right.

4 Octaves, assuming it's from the bass up, for a string section, would leave out most of the violins' register.

Depends on the track. When in doubt, try filling up the octaves and A/B that version against one without. Listen to each with your eyes closed and go with your gut.

Back