Do you guys swing your bass with your kick?

StanleySteamer

As the title says, I am just curious if I swing my kicks around 33% or whatever number, should the sub bass or bass guitar or bass drum or whatever have the same swing so they hit essentially at the same time, or should I not swing it at all and let them play at different times basically?

edit: don't know if this helps but I do hip-hop and its sample based. Just adding because when I type this question in google and look around most answers are for dance music where people say they don't swing the kick or bass at all.

Last edited:
it depends on the style/genre you are creating

in some you want the bass to hit exactly at the same time as the kick, in others it does not mater so much

as a live bass player I make sure that I can see a drummers kick foot so that I can nail the groove with them, especially if it is the first time we have worked together: this doesn't mean we hit at exactly the same moment but within ms of each other; anything smaller than 10ms is considered simultaneous by most perceptual psychologists

it depends on the style/genre you are creating

in some you want the bass to hit exactly at the same time as the kick, in others it does not mater so much

as a live bass player I make sure that I can see a drummers kick foot so that I can nail the groove with them, especially if it is the first time we have worked together: this doesn't mean we hit at exactly the same moment but within ms of each other; anything smaller than 10ms is considered simultaneous by most perceptual psychologists

What I tend to do is place the kick in the groove by fine time adjusting it, then I put the bass slightly behind the kick so you get the kick transient and a fat sub behind it. Hits so much harder.

Word good responses guys thanks. In regards to band coach, I am sample based hip-hop. The track I'm working on is going for that alchemist style feel you know? So I'm swinging my kick forward and stuff around 33% I was wondering basically if I should do the same with the sub bass so they hit right on time or maybe I should do what blackjax said and simply not swing it at all and let it play slightly earlier than my kick at normal time? feedback always appreciated

Edit: also I'm using a sub bass line in my track for the bass currently. This question is mainly about swinging with a sub bass line or a bass guitar line, not so much bass drums as I assume I should be swinging this to hit exactly on kicks and what not.

Last edited:
Back