do you guys do this?

whats good fp!

when i make a beat i normally just pick a instrument and miss around with it to something sounds good. lay drums etc etc walah

but today i just imagine a beat in my head and created it

i beat boxs in my head came up with my drums from that!
hummed a melody made my melody off that

really just created it and my head before i recorded the beat

but i been just doing it like i said before just messing with sounds and making something.

so which is better making a beat just going threw sounds

or make whats in my head

Whatever gets the job done, right? I have a drum pad from Alesis and I can't really play the drums but it seems like every little thing I do learn from youtube I can incorporate into a beat. I like to drum with my fingers on table tops and what have you, does that count as making it up in your head? 8-)

None of it matters.

Hell, I've been taking a break from music to tend to my personal life, and I got pulled back into it tonight just from humming a track out. Yes, humming. Was just working on it a couple minutes ago. By the time I laid it out, it was at least somewhat different, of course.

Moral of the story is that this music sh** is a sick addiction... and the more you can create in your head, the more you're meant to do this.

To answer the question, both and all of the above, do what works.

Personally, I think composing music in my head is better...because there is no limit to what I can come up with when I'm just using my imagination..

If you're able to do this then consider yourself blessed because I don't know of many musicians that can create just using their head..

It doesnt matter which way you do it. As long as the end product sounds good. If you think of something in your head that shitty and lay it out then play around with some chords and scales and come up with something dope, then the next day its the opposite, which ways better? Alot of good producers just play around and let the "Music Flow Out of Them" while other producers get ideas and "Lay Them Down". Music doesnt have RULES about the way you should do something, if it did it wouldnt be called an art. If that was the case EVERYONE who studied it would be able to create it and Timbo, Dre, Justice League, Team Hits, Kanye, and all those people makin cash wouldnt be at the top. Whatever enables you to let your creativity flow and imagination work is the best. Just make good music.

Wherever that initial inspiration comes from is how it starts. Sometimes I'm just messing around with sounds and something comes from that. When I have a late night melodic idea I usually open up Ableton and play it out on my midi keyboard so I don't lose a good idea in the clutter of my brain.

Play with sound or rhythm till my head starts moving, then layer, layer, layer. Once its thick, start trimming out bits till a picture emerges. that's one way...others come and go.

I am constantly touching the tips of my fingers together on each hand....like the right hand would be kicks and the left hand hats and snare/clap...and people think I have some kind of tick or twitch. its pretty funny to see people notice it, and they don't realize what it is I am doing until they find out I make my own beats haha.

Back