Do you compose first by time sgniture of freestyle play first then find time sig?

S

Skitso

So do you first have a set time signiture and try to play to that tempo or do you just do what ever comes to mind and then find the time signiture after you get a solid foundation bass line or beat?

Usually if you have a tune in mind it is set to a tempo already. Just gotta figure out what that timing is.
But later you can play with timing to see if a different tempo is better.

Skitso said:
So do you first have a set time signiture and try to play to that tempo or do you just do what ever comes to mind and then find the time signiture after you get a solid foundation bass line or beat?
Time signature and tempo are 2 different things. But I assume you're referring to tempo in your question.

I usually have a tempo range in mind before I do anything. I'll bang out drums to that tempo then make an adjustment if necessary. I settle on an exact tempo before I move on since the tempo will dictate the density of my bass line, rhythm, and melody. Ocassionally, I'll have tempo changes within a song.

Time signatures refer to the number of beats per measure and note values assigned to each beat. For example, 4/4 time is 4 1/4 notes per measure. 6/8 time would be 6 1/8 notes per measure.

If your question is about time signatures, I would say always determine that before you compose anything.

I dono, I think he could be talking about Time signature. I respond to that, because that is what you wrote.

The Time Signature on my MP is always set to the same thing. But I always quantize it, before I start recording, but Im trying not to. The hope is I go into it and it miraculously comes out perfect, but that never happens.

So I will start doing more beats with now quantize, then do it later if needed. It's crazy, I could use a method, and for whatever reason the same method will not work with the next beat. So I gotta go through many different techniques that I've picked up along the way, depending on the beat.

he said "time sig of freestyle". I took that to mean he is trying to match an a capella and a beat. Since 99% of the a capellas you will find are 4/4 this leads me to believe he was referring to tempo.

assuming that I say the following:

Find the tempo of the a capella and set the tempo to that..you can later change the bpm slightly either way but going too far with it will introduce artifacts usually.

sean

sean maru said:
he said "time sig of freestyle".

sean

"Do you compose first by time sgniture of freestyle play first then find time sig? "

Im sorry but I dont see how you can read that sentence WITHOUT assuming there was a typo.

Do you compose first by time sgniture OR freestyle play first then find time sig?

This is the way I read it.

Where is the poster anyway?

Back