do you always have to finish a beat with the first note you play

B

BIGPAT85

should the last note in the scale be the first note you play

wait you asked one question in the subject of your post, and then asked a completely different one in the text of your post....

"do you always have to finish a beat with the first note you play"

not at all

"should the last note in the scale be the first note you play"

i guess, in the sense that scales are supposed to come full circle to the root note. c-d-e-f-g-a-b-c, c-eb-f-gb-g-bb-c, a-b-c-d-e-f-g-a, etc....

coulg someone explain to me exactly what scales are and do they have anything to do with chords

southside87 said:
f*ck all that i go by what sounds good.
Knowing theory doesn't stop you from playing what sounds good. Knowing theory will expand your vocabulary of sound and help you find more things that sound good.

The most knowledgable musicians are still finding new sounds. So someone new to theory will definitely find sounds that they may have never discovered otherwise.

there is actually a term for melodies/progressions that end on the "I" of a scale and for those that don't. The term escapes me, but to sound "complete" you end on the "I". To sound like it needs to resolve at the end, end on something dissonant ( ie, NOT the "I").

These are pretty loaded questions.... I suggest you buy a book that can take you through some of this stuff.

Scales have everything to do with chords and visa versa. A chord is just made up from certain notes of a given scale. But get yourself a book on theory, becuase your basically asking to describe music theory in one post....... Aint gonna happen!!!

southside87 said:
f*ck all that i go by what sounds good.

Or you just dont understand anything that they have said. A long time ago, i used to think all producers were stupid. Now i see it just the people that aren't willing to learn. By what you said, i could tell you dont play an instrument. Playing an instrument will help you out dramatically because it makes you musically smarter and makes it easier to write notes for that instrument.So be wise and try to learn.

I agree with everything you just said, because unfortunately I had the "whatever sounds good" attitude, and while helpful to justify musical ignorance, it does nothing for the advancement of musical ability.

TopFrequency.com said:
there is actually a term for melodies/progressions that end on the "I" of a scale and for those that don't. The term escapes me, but to sound "complete" you end on the "I". To sound like it needs to resolve at the end, end on something dissonant ( ie, NOT the "I").

Ending a melody on the "I" is completely different from having the last note in the scale being the first note you play... and it is also completely different from the idea of having the last note you play being the same note as the first one played (unless you happen to start your melody on the "I")

this is true...

what i said does not apply to melodies but only progressions.

BIGPAT85 said:
should the last note in the scale be the first note you play
Never heard anything like this. It's fairly common to start a tune with the root of the first chord. It's also common to end a tune with the entire band playing that root note, especially when playing live. But I'm not familiar with tunes starting with the 7th degree of the root scale for any particular reason.

Either way, it's definitely not a rule.

Back