Do rap VERSES (and bridges) have melodies?

Drange

Artist
Hey everyone, I was wondering if rap VERSES have melodies. It's obvious that chorus' that are usually sung have melodies...

For example, when looking up the piano tutorial of Kid Cudi's "Soundtrack to my life" the video uploader, (NorthPawProductions) shows the chords and the chorus melody.

However, he didn't do the verse / bridge melody. Is this because usually in rap there is no melody regarding those sections of the song and rappers simply write those parts out lyrically? I understand that verses CAN have melodies, but simply writing rap lyrics without melody would drastically increase my work rate.

What are your guys' thoughts about the melodies of verses / bridges within' the rap / hip-hop genre?

Can you name some rappers that do have verse melodies? Can you name some rappers that don't?

I only want answers from people that have enough ear training to be SURE that rappers they refer are using melodies that are in key, etc. If you're guessing please refrain from answering what you do not know.

Thank you in advance everyone! I hope to hear from you Bandcoach!

Last edited:
Look up Eldorado Red - Tractor Trailer. Definite melody through out the whole song. I don't think that's usually how his songs sound though.

Really, melody is an interesting term in this thought. You are refering to melody being in the key of a song and using different notes with the voice to make a melody. But why couldn't a melody be the same pitch through out the verse with a certain rhythm? In my opinion anything individually can be a melody but it really depends how it fits into a song and how it sounds.

To answer your question, yes there are melodies in rap verses. To expand on that, I believe all rap verses have melody even if it is more rhythmic than relying on the pitch of the voice.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know.

Professor John

Back