Do melodies have to be single notes ???

This is hard to answer, honestly, because the melody is what you choose it to be. However, when the melody is created, its harmonies are usually kind of an undertone, or are slightly quieter to let the melody come through and be more prominent.

That's how I've usually seen melodies, anyway. Just one man's opinion.

Last edited:
You can thicken out your melodies by adding extra notes below or above them yes. Playing two totally different chord progressions at the same time would be unusual and quite difficult to do without clashing, but definitely possible. Whats more common is to use notes from the same chords underneath your melody.

If you do add extra notes below your melody, regardless of whether they're the same as the chords or not, they don't really become part of the melody- that's not what melody is. They just become part of the background harmonies.

The other day I wrote a melody which I loved, using single notes, but to me it seemed to be lacking something. I have always struggled with writing chords (music theory wise) but have no problem writing a melody with singular notes.

For the fk of it I decided to change the melody and add chords beneath, specifically writing in the key of F minor. So I thought.. Well damn, I don't even know what pitches are in F minor, so I looked it up.

"F minor is a major scale based on F, consisting of the pitches F, G, A-flat, B-flat, C, D-flat, and E-flat. The harmonic minor raises the
E to E.. Its key signature has four flats. Its relative major is A-flat major, and its parallel major is F major." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_minor

After I read that, I was like what the hell are relative and parallel majors? So I read some more, and learned a lot more. That there is how I finished turning my melody into a chord progression which I found fit the song 10000x better, and sounded much more musical.

Last edited:
Back